Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mosaics but as the DSO rotate below horizon?

Apologies for the title but it's hard to describe what I'm trying to search for.

With limited visibility in backyard  say roughly west I can see Orion as it drops, followed by other stars at same distance from ncp

Is there a way to sort of take mosaics as they pass by and then stitch them together?

Cos it might look cool

You can stitch whatever photos you take and when they go together to create a larger field image. But such things only work when your field is flat without issues (star shapes, uneven illumination across the frame even after calibration). With your current issues with the lenses you've tried it would be extremely difficult to merge the panels together without a lot of cleanup work. You could try a larger overlap between panels to help so stars closer to the centre of frame are less distorted.

A point to note about larger mosaics, you will end up with a distortion issue because you're trying to image in 2D a spherical infinity plane as it were, a bit like how 2D maps don't necessarily scale land masses correctly when looking at a global map

• Like 1

I'd try a pano first, you can do it on a fixed tripod, take image (or a few for stacking), pan left or right, take another image and repeat. Stitch image.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Apologies for the title but it's hard to describe what I'm trying to search for.

With limited visibility in backyard  say roughly west I can see Orion as it drops, followed by other stars at same distance from ncp

Is there a way to sort of take mosaics as they pass by and then stitch them together?

Cos it might look cool

The answer is 'yes.' This is a mosaic combining 42 individual images.

ORION%20MONOCEROS5full%20web-364x450.jpg

I can't tell you how to do it in five minutes, though!

:grin:lly

• Like 1

Very widefield mosaics such as Olly’s wonderful example do require some clever software to stitch them together for the reasons outlined by Elp above.

Astro Pixel Processor does a good job although a I confess I’ve never attempted one covering such a huge expanse of sky.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

The answer is 'yes.' This is a mosaic combining 42 individual images.

ORION%20MONOCEROS5full%20web-364x450.jpg

I can't tell you how to do it in five minutes, though!

:grin:lly

Fantastic image

I've been looking at this image a bit more closely and, after wiping my slobber from my screen it's even more fantastic than I first thought.

Attempting (not achieving) this is something I aspire to.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've looked into mosaics and it's obviously out my league at the moment.

I'm thinking something more like say tracking M42 for an hour as it drops, then reframing and tracking the same position M42 was an hour previously repeat and so on.  

End up with a sort of long streak of one hour chunks.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Elp said:

I'd try a pano first, you can do it on a fixed tripod, take image (or a few for stacking), pan left or right, take another image and repeat. Stitch image.

I would if I wanted a pano of the neighbours houses. It was just an Idea I  had trouble googling as I'm still not sure what the exact terms might be. I'm sure others must have considered doing similar.

Now I'm thinking people have thought about it but not done it :) probably for very sensible reasons.

A vertical ish slice of sky survey, maybe?

Edited by TiffsAndAstro