Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader ASTF

At Kelling I bought Baader ASTF filter cell for my 80 ED. I can see sunspots. I’m led to believe that I might be able to see some granulation (is that right?).  Are there any other solar phenomena that can be seen with these inexpensive filters?

3 minutes ago, Richard N said:

At Kelling I bought Baader ASTF filter cell for my 80 ED. I can see sunspots. I’m led to believe that I might be able to see some granulation (is that right?).  Are there any other solar phenomena that can be seen with these inexpensive filters?

Yes, in decent conditions you should be able to spot the kind of mottled effect across the surface which is granulation. In the larger spots you will see the darker centres called the umbra surrounded by the lighter penumbral areas. The other main thing to look for are faculae. These are seen nearer the limb where is is a little darker and appear  as a network of bright wiggly lines. If you have a UHC or OIII filter you can try this as it can help enhance visibility of granulation and faculae.

IMG_6467.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Are there other filters (e.g. colored filters) that are suggested for observation in white light? I'm planning buy a Baader ASTF very soon!