Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cheapo Alt/Az tracking mount for Solar scope?

Hello 

Iv recently acquired a solar telescope, I don't want to have to demount my deepsky imaging rig off my heq5 so want a fairly light mount to hand so I can track the sun to do visual and solar Imaging. I'm not wanting to spend much. I'm aware an EQ mount is more suited but thought there might be cheaper  alt/az options. Scope is light so won't need much payload capacity.

Any one have any suggestions or what might be suitable.

Thanks. 

Maybe an equatorial tracking platform?

I have one made by WatchHouse (not sure if they exist anymore), which I used with a Dobsonian mounted Newt.

Or maybe make your own:

Edited by Tomjo59

The az-gti seems to be about the cheapest.  Ioptron also sells the cube series but they're a bit wobbly.  Barring that, if you can find an older used nexstar 4se mount or something like that.  Actually you could probably get a used az-gti fairly cheap too.

I would stay away from the cheaper meade ds series or any mount with plastic gears (the cube series do have plastic gears).  The nexstar and az-gti have metal gears.

Edited by dciobota

If you just want a ‘cheap’ manual alt/az mount, I sometimes mount my TeleVue Ranger on a camera/photography ball head and tripod. [image below].
IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.61d0def85db3d5e798128ef6d95d020b.JPG

Otherwise the Universal Astronomics DwarfStar mount and camera/photography tripod.IMG_0661.thumb.JPG.1136c5ecc71ad6175b3024391ba0031d.JPGIMG_0659.thumb.JPG.d9662180c38226576bda307bf54d9b4b.JPG

• Like 1

I forgot to mention in my original post/reply, the clamp on my camera/photography ball head accepts Vixen compatible dovetail bars. :thumbsup: