NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astronomical society in my area

Good afternoon all.

I have a question you could all perhaps assist me with.

I've fairly recently started astrophotography having always been a huge huge astronomy geek.  I watch every rocket launch possible, study designs, the engineering behind everything from the rockets, the payload down to the telescopes and observatories around the UK.  

I would love to start an amateur astronomical society in my area of North Wales.  I am based on the coast not far from Rhyl and Prestatyn with some great views of the night sky.  The nearest astro society to me I believe is Chester.  Now, I don't drive at present and Chester is a fair distance from me - especially given North Wales public transport is pretty non-existent.  So I thought - why not set a society up based in Holywell/Carmel (Flintshire, North Wales) and see if there's any fellow stargazers in the area.

My question is - am I learning to run before I learn to walk or is it a good idea to try and meet fellow stargazers to learn, share ideas and make friends?

• Like 3

Personally I think it is a good idea. All societies have to start somewhere, the society I attend began when someone put an advert in the local paper and we are in our 50th year now. All you can do is try.

9 minutes ago, glafnazur said:

Personally I think it is a good idea. All societies have to start somewhere, the society I attend began when someone put an advert in the local paper and we are in our 50th year now. All you can do is try.

Awesome - thanks.  That gives me some confidence to actually try it :)

Appreciate that my friend

• Like 1

Until recently, the North Wales Astro Society was active, but along with Covid and it losing its venue, it has not been able to meet up, and nobody has stepped up to take on the running of the group (the previous admins don't have the time to run it any more). 

One of the group has started doing talks in Llangollen, so it seems there is an interest in Astronomy in North Wales: rest assured you're not alone. 

The NWAS still has a presence on Facebook, and if you are able to find a venue that's convenient for your location, you may find that some of the previous members would like to join you. 

I suggest you find them on Facebook and see if you can get some of them on board.  You will want to get some people to share the work, I am involved with my local group (a bit more over the border than Chester) and am very grateful to have an excellent Club Secretary and Treasurer to work with.   

However, even if it remains just as a virtual society, it'll be a community to share your interest (alongside the excellent people here).  All the best 

• Like 2

If you decide to run with it, reach out to and become affiliated with the Federation of Astronomical Societies (FAS). One of the benefits is getting public liability insurance coverage as part of the annual membership (though they are running into some hurdles renewing their policy this year) which pretty much pays for itself.

• Like 1

I would second that advice about joining the FAS. The liability insurance makes it worth it on its own but more than that these days it concentrates on offering loads of support and help to people and clubs. They have templates for all sorts including constitutions and advice in all areas of society governance. They take away loads of the admin burden. 

• Like 1

I had exactly the same thoughts about a year ago here in SW Ireland where like you it’s very dark, yet there’s no local astro society.

I printed out a few flyers saying “8pm last Thursday of the month” at a local pub with a convenient field at the back. I posted the flyers in a few local pubs and other places with notice boards. I expected no response but was pleasantly surprised and we now have about 10 regulars.

As for registering with the FAS (IFAS here), all very well but it will require the club to have various democratically elected officers etc, so for us it’s far too early for that.

Advertise it, and as someone said to me “you’ll be surprised who comes out of the woodwork” which I was.

Cheers, Magnus

baltimoreastronomy.com 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, darthraptor82 said:

Good afternoon all.

I have a question you could all perhaps assist me with.

I've fairly recently started astrophotography having always been a huge huge astronomy geek.  I watch every rocket launch possible, study designs, the engineering behind everything from the rockets, the payload down to the telescopes and observatories around the UK.  

I would love to start an amateur astronomical society in my area of North Wales.  I am based on the coast not far from Rhyl and Prestatyn with some great views of the night sky.  The nearest astro society to me I believe is Chester.  Now, I don't drive at present and Chester is a fair distance from me - especially given North Wales public transport is pretty non-existent.  So I thought - why not set a society up based in Holywell/Carmel (Flintshire, North Wales) and see if there's any fellow stargazers in the area.

My question is - am I learning to run before I learn to walk or is it a good idea to try and meet fellow stargazers to learn, share ideas and make friends?

Heya Darth - stunning part of the world you're in there, and with some very dark skies I can imagine! I'm on the Marches here in Ledbury, and have already had folks here reach out to me about astro socs  - sounds like you would be doing something very positive chap. All the best with it, keep us updated please!

• Like 1

You should download the Go Stargazing App. It lists most of the activities of most astronomy clubs and lists day by day when they meet and can be set to just list your local astronomy clubs 

• Like 2

Hi @darthraptor82 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Yes!… I am naturally a shy and quiet person. I do enjoy my local astro-society/club meet ups every month. You get to meet so many interesting and different types of people from all walks of life, professions, etc.

• Like 1