Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orthoscopic vs wide field.

21 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

That depends.

If you wear glasses, the UFF. 27.6mm field stop.  The field stop is pushed a bit, so it may be out of focus for your eye, but that really doesn't matter if used on deep sky objects.

It's probably too low a power for Moon and planet observing anyway.

If you want the sharpest star images in the outer field, the 24mm Panoptic.  27.0mm field stop.  No astigmatism at the edge.

If you want the widest field possible in a 1.25" eyepiece, the 24mm Hyperion (also glasses compatible). 28.0mm field stop.  Lots of astigmatism in the outer field, however.

If you want a sealed waterproof eyepiece, the 24mm 68° ES.  27.2mm field stop.

Personally, I wear glasses and the 24mm UFF was fine in that regard, with about 17-18mm effective eye relief from the rubber up to the exit pupil.

And I found it sharp enough in my 4" f/7 scope.  I used it with a set of Tele Vue Delites and it fit right into the sequence.

I also appreciated that it was the only one of the 4 24mm eyepieces that had no undercut on the 1.25" barrel.

That made it far easier to insert and remove.

Also, if you pan the scope, the distortion profile makes this one the easiest to pan across the sky with.

I don't wear eyeglasses. Astigmatism would irritate me so I would like to avoid that as much as possible really. 

Would you notice loss of sharpness on open clusters and globular clusters with the 24mm UFF as you move away from the center?

If so I'd sooner spend more money on a 'lifetime' DSO eyepiece.

As you say it's a bit too low power for lunar observation. So I'd want something to frame the moon to give perspective. Would something in the realms of 14mm suit this?

I'm still keen on getting the SVbony 3-8mm zoom to cover me for high power on the moon and planetary.

50 minutes ago, quasar117 said:

The Baader Morpheus 17.5mm sounds a good eyepiece for DSOs.

For all but the larger DSO's it may well be all you need in a 102mm F/7 refractor. A true field of around 1.8 degrees will fit most things in 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quasar117 said:

So I'd want something to frame the moon to give perspective.

Be aware that some well corrected eyepieces like Panoptics and ES-68s greatly distort the moon if it is allowed to drift to the edge.  It's a trade-off for better to excellent edge correction.  If kept on axis, you won't notice any distortion issues.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Be aware that some well corrected eyepieces like Panoptics and ES-68s greatly distort the moon if it is allowed to drift to the edge.  It's a trade-off for better to excellent edge correction.  If kept on axis, you won't notice any distortion issues.

Will the Morpheus provide less distortion?

1 hour ago, quasar117 said:

Will the Morpheus provide less distortion?

No.  Distortion generally increases with apparent field, so a 78° eyepiece like the 14mm Morpheus will have more distortion at the edge than a narrower apparent field eyepiece.  If having the Moon appear undistorted at the edge of the field is critical,  then eyepieces narrower than the Morpheus will be better.

If you merely let the moon drift from 1/2way to the edge on one side to the same place on the other side, the Morpheus would be fine for an undistorted view.

3 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

No.  Distortion generally increases with apparent field, so a 78° eyepiece like the 14mm Morpheus will have more distortion at the edge than a narrower apparent field eyepiece.  If having the Moon appear undistorted at the edge of the field is critical,  then eyepieces narrower than the Morpheus will be better.

If you merely let the moon drift from 1/2way to the edge on one side to the same place on the other side, the Morpheus would be fine for an undistorted view.

He was talking about the 17.5mm Morpheus but I take it will be the same with all eyepieces with a larger FOV.