Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader 35mm Eudiascopic.

I've just been messing with this eyepiece which I love early, while playing with my 100mm refractor. It has a special magic to me at least, as the view stands above the eye lens as if floating in space. So I thought I'd try something I've never tried before - taking a pic of M42 with my phone as seen through the 35mm. Forgive any spurious star images, its my phone and not my scope or eyepiece.

Do you think the images would get worried if I posted in their section? 

20240226_184556.thumb.jpg.29f75b150c6c87648b8f4690e3a8857f.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 4

I modified your image to show the slight vignetting that occurs at the edge of the field in that eyepiece.

Next time, try B&W in the camera for lower noise, and use Pro Mode if you have it and lengthen the exposure a few seconds.

I agree--it is a special eyepiece.

WAY too low a power for M42, though.  Much better on the Pleiades or Beehive.

M42CN.jpg

Edited by Don Pensack
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Don Pensack said:

I modified your image to show the slight vignetting that occurs at the edge of the field in that eyepiece.

Next time, try B&W in the camera for lower noise, and use Pro Mode if you have it and lengthen the exposure a few seconds.

I agree--it is a special eyepiece.

WAY too low a power for M42, though.  Much better on the Pleiades or Beehive.

M42CN.jpg

Thanks Don. The eye relief didn't help as I tried to hand hold the phone camera still over the eyepiece while pressing the take button. Your improved version looks much better! Through the eyepiece though it was a gorgeous low power view littered with stars, which I felt was enhanced by the sharp field stop. The phone pic doesn't really do it justice! 

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Mike how could you slip over to the dark side 😉😉

I seriously doubt I'm a threat to anyone, even if they're using a box brownie. 😁

Mike, 

I also see that the in-focus needed by the 35mm eyepiece puts the focuser drawtube into the field of view on the right side of the field.

BTW, a cell-phone holder over the eyepiece would enable you to better center and focus the camera.

If you want to try snapping some more images, that will hold the camera steadier.

You can get some incredible Moon pix that way.

• Like 1