Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

repurposed bags for telescopes, what have you used?

Chaz2b

I've ordered a tripod padded bag for my refractor, very expensive...£9.99 delivered!  I'm now searching for some padded dividers to keep things from moving around.

Bags that have been designed for the explicit use of telescopes are not cheap, and as a cheap skate I'm always on the lookout out for cheaper alternatives.

The picture below is from the CN forum, and is an excellent alternative for my TV 85, still a little pricey but a good insurance.

What have you found that does the job of protecting your valuable scope without the consent of your bank manager?

Chaz

Have you done similar

post-133676-0-56026300-1557946133.jpg

Edited by Chaz2b
pic added
  • Like 1

My baby vixen and it's special folding tripod all fit into a cheap solid plastic tool box stuffed with bits of foam padding - that's real grab and go!

When I got my large Tamron zoom lense I bought a special camera body just for it so I wouldn't need to keep swapping it around.  It made a rather long sort of telescope shaped package.  I bought one of these for it https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193487278023?itmmeta=01HQNA19XS2ZE2BG279EJZDVMQ&hash=item2d0cbd8fc7:g:RUYAAOSwOj1ggs2U&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwLP3xJG8lk1QEHsBQNjT9Hx%2BT9wddMnPFwpbOYvMJuAcXYvFqBVmMKeZkzT6Etwj6xoaOo6ZYqt80MywqZkl630xAG6y4nTLKmI%2B2AvSAaQEAF3H1YK09Y7LuBIrAgB1bQOZnf4HqK20vuvDREHlLYSsvIWeQvm7Pb8YAbXE2MVXB1BjOq1JL%2FvVp%2FfyEWMb6GilZZup%2BRvKCDeBPr1dcho%2FrUHJGxNY0doj2k9G6ii52a12rspqBAY%2FsI5F9kAkyQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_6ehaq9Yw 

and it carries the whole lot admirably in one piece.  Very securely over my shoulder on my back until I need it and whilst not over the top in padding it certainly provides a certain amount of protection.

• Like 1

It looks like the grab and go for your grab and go!

I’m now looking for stratocell foam for lining my bag, hopefully it’ll be secure enough.

chaz

I too have repurposed tripod bags for my Meade DS-2102 refractor and a Photax/Paragon 400mm telephoto lens.

I purchased mine last year [2023] via the online warehouse that is based somewhere in the far-east and received them within two weeks of ordering them.

• Like 1