Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR Conversion

Greetings everyone. I have just purchased a used IR converted Canon 700d. I have no evidence to to say what type of conversion it has had ! I was told that it had just a standard rear filter removed. When taking a colour photos during the day time the colours are very much what they should be with only a very small amount of a pink hit , but it's barely there. I have seen other people's images with a similar conversion and there image's are a lot more red . Also when I look at an image that I have taken in black and white the is some difference but no where near to what I've seen on the internet, white trees etc . Should I look at getting a filter to block more of the visible light ?. Thanks in advance for any help.

• Like 1

Hi Russell

1. Some Astro mods talk of removing the "IR Filter", which is misleading.

2. An "IR converted" Canon will not show daytime images with "colours are very much what they should be"

If it's only had "a standard rear filter removed", that will be a Ha Mod,

Possibly a Full Spectrum Mod if both rear filters have been removed.

Which allows IR UV, Visual, and IR bands to be recorded.

3. An IR Conversion will have had both standard filters removed, and an IR Pass Filter installed.

Which should only pass IR, none of the visual spectrum.

Giving images with as you say "white trees".

4. An external IR Pass Filter on a Full Spectrum Modded camera would allow just the IR to reach the sensor.

If that's what you're desiring.

Michael

Edited by michael8554

Is there a custom white balance set?

If you are looking at the preview on the back of the camera, it will use the white balance which may reduce the pink/red hint. When saving as raw, the white balance is not used (only for preview and jpeg)

• Like 1

On 24/02/2024 at 13:36, Russell21 said:

When taking a colour photos during the day time the colours are very much what they should be with only a very small amount of a pink hit , but it's barely there.

Michael has described it perfectly, and this page on Astronomisers website (where I got my camera modded) gives a good explanation of the correct types of modifications and shows some examples of images taken with each. Hopefully that should assist.

Do you have a UVIR-blocker filter available? The tighter the better (i.e. Astronomik L3, blocking even deep blue and red). If it is an "IR converted" camera, with an IR-pass filter installed, you'll se a black screen or a VEEERY dark one calling for long exposure. If the filter was simply removed, nothing else in place, then the light meter will ask for a ~2x longer exposure.

There are some artistic mods, with filters passing above a certain visible wavelength, let's hope it's not the case. That one could be investigated with a simple DIY "spectrometer", made of a piece of DVD/CD and a fluorescent lamp.

Hi everyone, thank you all for addressing my post. I found that all of the replies were interesting and very informative. I would think now that it's just a basic Ha mod . There is only a very light pink tint to daytime photos. I also did a test with blue sky's whilst photographing in black and white, the blues were very dark. The Auto focusing is spot on, this also suggests that is a standard rear filter removed.

Thanks again for your replies.

Warm regards to all. Russ.

• Like 1