Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

THE SEESTAR S50 ISN'T ONLY FOR PRETTY PICTURES.

Of course, pretty pics are the fun bit, but there's far more to it than that.

I bought mine partly to be able to have a near real time 'view' of things I had no chance of seeing in my 10 inch scope (and others) in my Bortle 5 skies.

I ventured out into the frosty weather last night with the S50 to see what it could do on the night of full Moon.

I took the pic below of The Owl PN, M97,  which wouldn't have been hadly visible in most of my scopes in the conditions.  I checked on Sky Safari to see what magnitudes of stars it would show.  I easily found some stars of the 17th mag, and there might have been fainter ones, I only checked a few.  More interesting was that I also found a couple of galaxies of the same magnitude.  The central star (16th mag in one source, 14th in another!) in the PN is also just about visible.

I then had a pleasant few minutes with the Cambridge Atlas of the Messier Objects which has some great info re M97 and some of the faint nearby galaxies.  

It's not like a telescopic view of course, and this area is still my forte.  However it is a great way of spending an evening when I'm not likely to have bothered getting a scope out.

I've plenty of projects in mind as well, for which the S50 is emminently suitable.  For the price it's a great buy and will extend the type of Astronomy I can do.  I wish it had been available fifty years ago!

20240223_233953.thumb.jpg.3d954ada58955b391567dca801718707.jpg

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 5

• paulastro changed the title to THE STARSENSE S50 ISN'T ONLY FOR PRETTY PICTURES.
  • paulastro changed the title to THE SEESTAR S50 ISN'T ONLY FOR PRETTY PICTURES.