Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New camera, ASI585mc Pro

Adam J

I tried DSO imaging at the end of last year with the uncooled 585MC. I seem to recall it was cold, -3 degrees os so, and thinking about it the issue might have been ice rather than dew. The camera was attached behind a filter and flattener, on a refractor. I was using a 1.25 inch UV / IR Cut filter.

Living in the North West not far from the Welsh hills it's quite damp. Dew is always a concern but usually kept at bay with heaters.

Something to try, attach a dew band around your spacer rings, see if it makes a difference. I've tried imaging in such an environment, the cameras were okay, but any exposed glass (objectives, eyepieces) dewed up like it's in fashion. I can normally get away with no dew heaters on the front objectives normally.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Elp said:

Something to try, attach a dew band around your spacer rings, see if it makes a difference. I've tried imaging in such an environment, the cameras were okay, but any exposed glass (objectives, eyepieces) dewed up like it's in fashion. I can normally get away with no dew heaters on the front objectives normally.

I'll give it a go. Many thanks for the tip 👍

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, UKRoman said:

Just discovered that the ASI585MC Pro doesn't have a built-in dew heater. Doh, I should have read the specs properly. I already have the uncooled 585MC which I've tried for DSO imaging on a couple of occasions without success due to the sensor window dewing up. I may have to review plans before I unbox the new camera 🤔

All ZWO cooled cameras using sensors smaller than APSC don't use a dedicated dew heater but the are designed push waste heat from the thermo electric cooler into the camera housing preventing dew, you will not get dew unless the desiccant tablets  need replacing. So in summery stop worrying it will be fine. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

All ZWO cooled cameras using sensors smaller than APSC don't use a dedicated dew heater but the are designed push waste heat from the thermo electric cooler into the camera housing preventing dew, you will not get dew unless the desiccant tablets  need replacing. So in summery stop worrying it will be fine. 

Adam

That’s good to know, thanks for the information. The camera is due on Monday and I’m looking forward to its first outing 👍