Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

barlows and erecting eyepiece

My scope came with a 1.5x erecting piece. Besides turning the image right side up is it the same as a barlow? I.o.w. should I still get a barlow? I found that the erecting EP renders the images rather fuzzy. Poor quality? or inherent in barlows and other magnifying devices?

Poor quality, and rather unnecessary for astronomical observation. Any decent Barlow won't fuzz up your view. I don't really know why some vendors sell erecting eps with Newtonians, especially as Newts are really astronomical telescopes. It makes sense to have one with a refractor, as they may be used for terrestrial observation.

Read some of the discussions on eps on this forum. Consider a Barlow as a part of your entire ep kit, and plan a decent set of eps that give you various powers without overlapping when using the Barlow. You have Kellners, which are generally not bad eps. Consider a 6mm and a 15mm Plossl, to give yourself a nice range. The 6mm will give you what is the practical maximum for your scope at about 165x.

hmmm I was considering getting a diagonal for my newt to make it easier on the old back and they are all erect image ones.

Cant see how it can hurt, especially for us beginners to have things as we see em with our eyes

hmmm I was considering getting a diagonal for my newt to make it easier on the old back and they are all erect image ones.

Cant see how it can hurt, especially for us beginners to have things as we see em with our eyes

It's not a good idea because newtonians are designed not to be used with diagonals - your newtonian scope almost certainly won't come to focus with a diagonal fitted.

Sorry about your back but thats the way these scopes work.

John

Try getting a chair, adjustable if possible, but I do a lot of my observing on a bar stool.

Hmmm. That didn't sound good. :icon_rolleyes:

Archived