Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fixing USB sockets anyone?

fwm891

I have a CEM 60 which has a small board with 4 USB 2.0 sockets (in 2 pairs) on it and 1 of the sockets has basically fallen apart. Before I spend what seems mega bucks on buying a full replacement board does anyone know if its possible to just remove/rep[lace the failed USB sockets?

If so where would one find them (not into electronics as you might have guessed)

Cheers

CEM60_USB-01.jpg

CEM60_USB-02.jpg

You will need a "solder sucker" to suck the molten solder away from each pin in turn after applying the tip of a soldering iron. A solder sucker has a spring loaded plunger that you press in and when ready press a catch which causes the plunger to retract which sucks the solder up the nozzle. Pressing the plunger back down pushes the solder back out.

If the solder on a pin does not come out cleanly then re solder and suck it out again. If you have an old PCB to practice on first it helps to get the hang of it.

I will see if a YouTube vid is available and if so put the link here  search using a solder pump to desolder

Edited by Tomatobro
info added
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tomatobro said:

You will need a "solder sucker" …  I will see if a YouTube vid is available and if so put the link here  search using a solder pump to desolder

Found a few vids thanks…

As mentioned, these are a standard part and can be picked up off e-bay for a couple of quid at most.  The solder pins are relatively easy to de-solder, but you might need a large bit or hot iron to melt the solder holding the lugs, especially if the board uses a ground plane.  Solder suckers, desoldering braid and a good flux all makes the job easier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1