Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Néstor SE mount problem with refractor.

tico

Hello,
I'm trying to mount an 80mm refractor on a Nexstar SE mount, the problem is that the eyepiece area of the refractor touches the base of the mount when it is directed to the zenith.
What solution do you propose to solve this problem? They have told me about a wedge, but I don't want a solution like that...
Thank you.

Edited by Cornelius Varley
background colour to text removed

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but the SE mount is not designed for mounting long refractors.  You could avoid aiming at the zenith by setting limits in the mount, or  use a SCT telescope on the mount, or get a different mount. 

A pair of rings fitted to a dovetail might allow you to push the refractor tube through enough to give you clearance.  The SE mount can carry the 8" SCT so a little imbalance may not matter too much whilst zenith observing.  If all else fails, unless you are at the N Pole, everything gets lower in due course.    🙂