Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Please Help - Mini PC for Evolution 8 SCT

Hey all. I have an Evolution 8 SCT and have quickly come to realize how horrific the Wifi is; regardless if using the Celestron connection or in Access Point mode. Therefore I was thinking of getting a Mini-PC to bypass this mounted on top of my scope. I bought a Handcontroller bracket that clips on to the Evolutions Handle and if I can have a new bracket made to hold both this mini-pc and the HC that would be great or I can mount it on top of the scope.  In my mind - by doing this I get Wifi 6 capability which bypasses Celestrons antenna. Connect this Mini-PC to the HC, connect my Planetary Camera (ZWO ASI678MC) to the mini PC and than just run an HDMI to my laptop acting as a monitor / keyboard. 

Does this make sense to everyone here or am I crazy? 

I found this mini-pc and its attractive due to its small size and minimal weight. Just unsure if its powerful enough to run CPWI, Sharpcap and the Planetary camera without worrying about frame loss in my planetary imaging or freeze ups on the mini pc.

mini pc: https://www.amazon.com/GMKtec-Office-Mini-Computers-N100/dp/B0C9CDZV6N?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Any advice or help would be great!

10 minutes ago, Vinnyvent84 said:

HDMI to my laptop acting as a monitor / keyboard.

Don't think the HDMI transfer keyboard/mouse signal. Why not run the whole thing as any other mount/camera combo? Given that someone provide INDI drivers for the mount it should be plain sailing.  This is how I would do it: A headless RaspberryPi 4 set up as a INDI-server, USB-cables from the Pi to the camera and mount, and either wifi or network cable connection to your PC/laptop. On the PC you run the software for mount control and capture of your choice, I'll recommend Linux/Kstars/Ekos. Be aware that any older Pi than the 4 has a rather slow wifi, will be noticeable during capture. 

I don't see what you gain by using this mini PC. I did planetary imaging with my C8 SE and my CPC800 (both Nexstar models functionally similar to your C8 Evolution) with a planetary camera plugged directly into my laptop, which runs Sharpcap.

People do use mini PCs (or ASIAIRs) strapped to their scopes, but they appear to be needed only if one is doing deep space imaging and wanting to control a slew of gadgets like filter wheels, electronic focuser, camera, and one supposes the mount and autoguider, and maybe controlling the whole thing remotely from indoors.  I certainly have not experienced any need to do anything of the sort. 

I have seen comments about the Evolution wifi, but I don't see why you need to be using it if you have the handset.  If you are trying for deep space long exposure imaging with the Evolution, you have set yourself a tough target and it might be better to get an equatorial GoTo mount and a smaller more manageable refractor (or a Seestar S50 🙂). 

Edited by Cosmic Geoff

6 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I don't see what you gain by using this mini PC. I did planetary imaging with my C8 SE and my CPC800 (both Nexstar models functionally similar to your C8 Evolution) with a planetary camera plugged directly into my laptop, which runs Sharpcap.

People do use mini PCs (or ASIAIRs) strapped to their scopes, but they appear to be needed only if one is doing deep space imaging and wanting to control a slew of gadgets like filter wheels, electronic focuser, camera, and one supposes the mount and autoguider, and maybe controlling the whole thing remotely from indoors.  I certainly have not experienced any need to do anything of the sort. 

I have seen comments about the Evolution wifi, but I don't see why you need to be using it if you have the handset.  If you are trying for deep space long exposure imaging with the Evolution, you have set yourself a tough target and it might be better to get an equatorial GoTo mount and a smaller more manageable refractor (or a Seestar S50 🙂). 

So honestly I despise the handset. I find its menu navigation and usage archaic and clumsy. Even though CPWI isn’t exactly state of the art (UI wise) it at least lets me use my Xbox remote to skew the scope with the left joystick and control the focus motor with the right joystick. Way finer control and more comfortable (and familiar). 

The WiFi is downright abysmal. I literally went out and bought a TP-Link Dece mesh system and specifically a Deco X50 outdoor mesh router to use only for my scope and Astro laptop. I was able to prioritize the scope in the TP-Link settings and force both the scope and laptop to only use 2.4 band (Evo only does 2.4) so that the laptop never wavered off looking for the best signal. The outdoor router is no more than 15 or so feet from the scope and most I ever got without a disconnect is 50-60 minutes. It doesn’t even auto reconnect. You literally have to shutdown and reconnect, sometimes multiple times. 

I was looking to mitigate the number of wires running from the scope and not use the HC. I know I’ll never do astrophotography of DSO’s in a Bortle 8 backyard with a 8 SCT but my thought process was as follows:

If I preconfigure a headless PC and strap it to be remote controlled I can then connect my starsense auto align to the mount, Celestron focus motor to the mount, Camera to the the mini PC I can either remote in wirelessly using RDP. I can also use Ethernet if I choose since many have said remote RDP over wireless has to much delay to properly focus for planetary imaging. 

this in turn minimizes cable management and provides me with a solid WiFi 6 signal with WAY better range and less / no dropouts. 

does that make sense?

8 hours ago, Vinnyvent84 said:

does that make sense?

You have clearly gone to a lot of trouble and expense, but do you think you can do anything I can't do with regard to planetary imaging using my much simpler setup?

• Thanks 1

Are mini pcs/airs compatible with alt az mounts as I assumed they only worked with equatorial.

As @Cosmic Geoff mentioned, you don't need to overcomplicate the setup if doing planetary. I use an rpi with astroberry most of the time and only use it for the image capture with the connected camera via usb. The mount is used for tracking that's it. This is despite me having multiple airs for my DSO work, they are not needed for planetary even though they can be.

A lot of the time with planetary you're with the scope because your sessions can also be very short. DSOs on the other hand you setup and leave it to its own devices, that's when the computer controller, WiFi range and automation are useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Elp said:

Are mini pcs/airs compatible with alt az mounts as I assumed they only worked with equatorial.

As @Cosmic Geoff mentioned, you don't need to overcomplicate the setup if doing planetary. I use an rpi with astroberry most of the time and only use it for the image capture with the connected camera via usb. The mount is used for tracking that's it. This is despite me having multiple airs for my DSO work, they are not needed for planetary even though they can be.

A lot of the time with planetary you're with the scope because your sessions can also be very short. DSOs on the other hand you setup and leave it to its own devices, that's when the computer controller, WiFi range and automation are useful.

7 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

You have clearly gone to a lot of trouble and expense, but do you think you can do anything I can't do with regard to planetary imaging using my much simpler setup?

Absolutely not. My goal was never to insinuate this setup is better or superior in any way to other setups. In fact I understand it’s a bit like using a howitzer to kill a gnat. The routers for outside needed to be purchased anyway for other home automation needs. My goal was only to have a wireless connection from the scope / mount and the laptop. 

I have a son who is 4 and autistic and love everything space & planets. The less dangling wires outside he can trip over when he’s with me the better. In addition, if the laptop is not hardwired to the scope I could then bring it inside for him to see the livestacking and/or EAA images. 

So I figured if I put a headless mini PC onto the OTA then connect from the OTA to the handset (I purchased a 3D holder to switch it to the Evo’s handle rather then the tripod leg to eliminate cord wrap concerns), camera to the mini pc and focus motor / starsense plugged into the mount then I would only have a single power cord to the mini PC (Evolution mount has a internal battery). 

I just didn’t know what mini PC would be capable enough or if my logic wouldn’t work with my desired intentions.