Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy Year Books

Do you collect artifacts? If so, they are undoubtedly valuable. Otherwise, YMMV.

I make good use of both bits and atoms. There are a number of ways in which physical representations are more useful in practice than their virtual counterparts.

Horses for courses.

I use a number of yearbooks when preparing a monthly newsletter that I produce.

I find a paper version easier both to use and to quickly absorb a broad range of information. 

They also help with broad brush planning when I see a possible clear night in the offing

• Like 1

If you mean something like Philip's Stargazing - Month-by-Month Guide to the Night Sky, then I’ve been buying this every year. 

It doesn’t cost much (often there’s a deal on it too), and at times I find a paper guide more relaxing, nice to flick through on a cloudy, windy night with a glass of whisky in front of the fire 😀

• Like 2

On 04/02/2024 at 19:14, Richard N said:

Are any of these any good or do the apps/online resources render them redundant these days?

My grown up offspring buy me these publications for Christmas. I appreciate the gift plus almanacs are inexpensive and are handy toilet reading.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

My grown up offspring buy me these publications for Christmas. I appreciate the gift plus almanacs are inexpensive and are handy toilet reading.

Is the paper reasonably soft?

• Haha 1

Funny - I was just browsing a couple of annual guides at a bookseller this past weekend.  It seems to me that you can get all the same info for free from a number of Web sites like "Sky and Telescope". 

But, as Peter mentioned, there are times when a paper book is the thing to have.

• Like 1