Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion nebula (M42), M43, Running Man, VdB42 and VdB44

geeklee

JAO (Just Another Orion)! A common object at this time of year and frequently imaged.  This was captured over 3 nights in January 2024.

A few of my goals - maintain some natural, subtle colour alongside depth and that dusty, nebulous look - it can be easy to saturate and flatten M42.  I also like a bright core so it still feels like it's almost too bright to capture. Lastly, I attempted to kerb the reds in some of the dust a little so that the strong Ha edges to them (middle left, top centre left) stood out more.

Some of these goals weren't fully met, but hopefully some were.  Please click through for a bigger size.  Pre-processed in APP, processed in PixInsight alongside the RC tools. 

This is ~6.5h - 180x120s + 40x30s.  Captured with my Epsilon 130 and 2600MC (at Gain 0).

Thanks for looking.

image.thumb.jpeg.5123dbb2966885cc1d5d119e6ea90466.jpeg

120s subs at Gain 0 on the 2600MC could almost manage the core of M42 with only the Trapezium blown out.  Adding some 30s subs using HDRComposition in PixInsight did the trick though.

image.png.4f19da7f6a944de1f50d568faed16d25.png

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 23

Depth, structure, just the right amount of colour and loads of detail. What's not to like?

Nice delicate touch with the processing Lee; I much prefer images that are not oversaturated, but that is very much a personal thing.

I have yet to try HDRComposition in PI, but then I keep shying away from M42 - there's always next year!

Looks like you've got the Epsilon tuned to perfection too.

Adrian

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Depth, structure, just the right amount of colour and loads of detail.

Thanks for the feedback Adrian, really appreciated.  

19 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Looks like you've got the Epsilon tuned to perfection too.

A few evenings spent under the stars with a CTU to get as close as I can with stock equipment! A little residual tilt (that BlurX typically tidies up) and some mild flaring which I'm OK with 😊

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 09/03/2024 at 20:54, GalaxyGael said:

Epsilon looks to be singing.

Thanks Colm, good to hear from you.  With weather and a few other things getting in the way, it's only been the last 6-7 months I've had a chance to really get it going - hoping to stretch its legs further later in the year (still have a couple of unfinished projects from this year too).

23 hours ago, Roy Foreman said:

Well done.

Thanks Roy ☺️

Edited by geeklee