Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help Identifying Object Near M106

Hi all!  Hope there is someone that can lend a hand in helping me identify an object near M106.  While looking through my data halfway through taking it (always want to do quick processing to see how things are shaping up), I noticed a small fuzzy red object that did not show up in Simbad, Aladin, or PixInsight annotate image. 

Coordinates of the object are:

RA       12 19 29.7
DEC  +47 43 35.3

It is very strong in my Red Channel and increasingly weak in Green, then almost none existent in Blue.  It shows up in my Hydrogen Channel as well.  Doing continuum subtraction completely removes the object so I am leaning toward it being a broadband object not a narrowband Ha object.  My strongest guess is some galaxy or really far away globular cluster/dwarf galaxy.

Thanks for the help!

combined_changed_Image101_changed_Image117_Annotated.jpg

unknown galaxy near TYC 3455-271-1.jpg

rgb_clone.jpg

It looks like a galaxy, but as you say not identified in SIMBAD, while fainter objects are:

image.thumb.png.db46e21b9b4d45bdf0d3b78161c86dcd.png

Anyway, not to be beaten, I looked with HNSky, a highly configurable, if a little glitchy, planetarium I use mostly nowdays. I got the area, downloaded the DSS imagery to confirm the spot then asked for Hyperleda annotation. I have the enhanced Hyperleda database installed for HNSky and it got an ID:

image.thumb.png.1c25ff115977efa88e6169a2a407348a.png

It's a mag 16.5 galaxy, deal with it! 🤣

• Like 1

Thanks guys!!

I did use the desktop Aladin version, but that came up empty which is what started this goose chase.  I am going to have to take a look at HNSky, haven't heard of that. 

Glad I wasn't crazy in my thinking it had to be a broadband target too.  Go science!

I think with Aladin desktop you have to load the catalogues in. From my quick look the best image is PANNSTARSDR1. The object looks like a spiral galaxy tilted at an angle to us a  bit like M31. 

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1