mewlon finder change

well i finally changed the finder on my tak mewlon,  love the original, but didn't. like the cricked neck, was quite easy to do replaced with right angled

80mm finder

20240202_103043.jpg

• Like 4

Dont get it! Surely youve to look along the scope to aim, so doesn't an angled finder make things even more difficult? Plus Ed Ting says that real astronomers use straight through finders, and everyone knows he must be right.:argue:

• Like 1

ed ting said it s one off the 5 scopes he regrets ,i love mine , my back love.s the right angle finder  the finder handle now resides in the  bit and bobs box and considering my mewlon is a keeper thats where it will stay

• Like 3

8 hours ago, graham56 said:

well i finally changed the finder on my tak mewlon,  love the original, but didn't. like the cricked neck, was quite easy to do replaced with right angled

80mm finder

20240202_103043.jpg

Not seen the Dall-Kirkham decal on a Mewlon before. Did you add it.

I too prefer straight thru finders

• Like 1

yes it was done me, as well as the color to match the finder  to the mewlon . the beauty off that finder it takes any 1" 1/4 eyepiece works great with a 24 pan. 30mm ultima , but i use it with 23mm rectile eyepiece off my stellarvue sparrow hawk

• Like 3

I find the straight through finder awkward but couldn't bring myself to replace it. It's use as an excellent handle, and the Mewlon's beautiful lines means I'll keep getting down on one knee 🙂

I have found a way round the problem though ... when using it for deep sky, I dual mount it on a Giro Ercole with an FS60CB. I find this a very easy and pleasant way to observe. 

Malcolm 

• Haha 2

decided to swap my finder  for a right angle 50mm one , the f50 sparrow hawk ,this is a fantastic   finder / refractor  its happy with 3/6 nag zoom (33-66 mag) or the other end  35 ultima (5.7-mag)  the rectile eyepiece 23mm produces  8.69 mag 7deg field      there is a in depth review on astromart under refractors ,f50 nano refractor.

20240205_141439.jpg

20240205_141425.jpg

• Like 1