Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Intervalometer delay for DSLR (Canon 60d)

Is it normal for a Canon 60d to need a delay of about 5sec between exposures (RAW CR2, typically about 20MB 5344 x 3516) to write to the SDcard, a Sandisk Ultra 64GB Micro XC1 (10)
Do I need a new/better SDcard?

When I started with this camera and intervalometer I was puzzled/confused that a delay of just a second or so was ok for short runs but when trying for sequences of a few hundred I would not get the full set recorded, the number of subs varied. It was some time before I realised that there was a buffer store in the camera that was running out of space and needed catchup time ! doh !!

Edited by MalcolmP

Using a shutter delay for AP has more to do with allowing for vibration damping time because of the shutter moving, allowing time for it to physically move out of the way of the sensor and sometimes to allow a minor cool down time. Your issue could be you're dual writing jpg and RAW, having an NR mode on (though unlikely), the card could be slow or failing performance wise. As far as I know, the buffer for dslr bodies is for continuous fast acquisition imaging (ie moving action photography), you really won't get near this limit for AP, if you're doing it for planetary DSLRs are not really suited, or record uncompressed video instead if it's an option.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Elp said:

As far as I know, the buffer for dslr bodies is for continuous fast acquisition imaging (ie moving action photography), you really won't get near this limit for AP

Thanks for your thoughts @Elp
The fast action buffer use is interesting, (makes sense !) I will google that incase I have a fault.
Not planetary - many-sub DSO shooting (eg 1200 sub Andromeda and so far 300 on Triangulum !) fixed camera on a tripod 50mm and 135mm vintage glass.
I am using live view to keep the mirror up and avoid shutter vibration/delay.
Not using in-camera NR (no darks, bias only in DSS and ASTAP)

I suspect a write-speed problem, so I wondered if other Canon users needed this kind of 5 or 6sec delay to give the buffer breathing space  ?

• MalcolmP changed the title to Intervalometer delay for DSLR (Canon 60d)

I can't comment on Canon, but my elderly Nikon D90 definitely does. One thing that increases buffer time needed in my camera is having its internal noise reduction set to on - you could check you have that switched off which should also give you better image quality overall when stacked. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MalcolmP said:

I suspect a write-speed problem, so I wondered if other Canon users needed this kind of 5 or 6sec delay to give the buffer breathing space  ?

With my Canon 800d, I use 2 seconds purely to maximise imaging time. But I control the camera with NINA so it downloads all images direct to the laptop and not the SD card (which takes about 20s!).

I think I may have used 5s when using the intervalometer , usually it’s a second or so for it to preview on the camera screen (Astro or not) so I just gave it a bit of time as a buffer to allow for writing to the card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WolfieGlos said:

With my Canon 800d, I use 2 seconds purely to maximise imaging time. But I control the camera with NINA so it downloads all images direct to the laptop

2sec ! That is impressive, is that via wifi or usb (no wifi on the 60d)

25 minutes ago, MalcolmP said:

2sec ! That is impressive, is that via wifi or usb (no wifi on the 60d)

It’s just the default time so I stuck with it 🙂

Mine is via USB, I have a 5m active usb3 cable with hub, which I needed to control the EAF over that distance, but also for faster captures with the 585mc when I use it for planetary. 

• Thanks 1

My Nikon D610 works best with a 3s pause between frames when shooting with an intervalometer. Write speed depends on both card, and camera. Try a fast SD card, but the limit will be the camera write speed. Intervalometer use does not engage the buffer, I think..

Using live view for shooting will heat up your sensor and generate thermal noise as I understand it. 

One way round this delay may be  to use continuous shooting, as this MAY use the buffer, so minimising any delay between shots. There may be a limit on the number of frames though. 

Edited by 900SL
  • Like 1

"I am using live view to keep the mirror up and avoid shutter vibration/delay."

I'm not sure it's a good idea to have LiveView on, continuously, that may heat the sensor ?

Are the downloads faster with LiveView off ?

Michael

Edited by michael8554
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, michael8554 said:

not sure it's a good idea to have LiveView on, continuously, that may heat the sensor ?

Thanks, yes! but it is on a lightweight tripod prone to vibration and anyway it is not a happy sound mechanically ! so live view is the lesser of two weevils !
Actually, three weevils, the third being to enable mirror lock-up, but I found that to be a pain to en- and dis- every time between runs to repoint the camera on its pan-tilt head. Using a 50mm lens at 5sec per sub a run of 150 is ok, but with 135mm @2sec per sub (plus the needed 5sec write delay) it is better to repoint at 50 subs to keep the target in the better central zone of the vintage lens.

So, it seems that I am stuck with**  write time eating into imaging time, since no-one has said I have an abnormal 60d
** until I investigate @WolfieGlos's interesting NINA suggestion. I must google for a dummies guide to it.

Oh I didn’t notice that you said you have liveview on continuously. That is unusual. Apologies.

If you opt to use NINA (or APT, Backyard EOS, etc) then I don’t think they will allow the liveview to be in use since the camera is operated by a laptop. I’ve never tried it but that would be my suspicion.

Edited by WolfieGlos
  • Thanks 1

Cloudy  night, nothing on TV, ideal time to investigte NINA !
I download the offered x64 exe and the pdf manual,
Unusually I first start to read the manual, before running the software  !!!
and grrrr , Win10 :-
1.2 System Requirements and Device Support
 1.2.1 Minimum System Requirements
The following represents the minimum system resources required to operate N.I.N.A.
A dual-core x64 CPU
3GB of RAM

Windows 10 (64 bit) or later

wot about Win 7 ? Grrr !
I dont see , in the download section, any legacy offerings. :( :( 

Edited by MalcolmP

Reprise:
needing to add a 5sec interval after each sub was eating into imaging time (especially as subs were only 2sec and 5sec each that is a serious overhead) The problem is slow write speed to the SDcard and also time wasted in pulling the card to then be read on the PC indoors.

With @WolfieGlos's suggestion I now have an active usb cable and can quickly download each sub with minimal delay to live stack ! yea!!
(well I would if only the clouds that came in the post with the cable would go away !)

• 1 month later...

I've found my intervalometer with 600d and two second lock up a tad variable. 3 minute subs come out at mostly 180sec but some are 182 or 183.

Since using legacy sequencer in nina (not advanced, I'm a lazy coward) they are always 180sec.

And as we all know everything is better done on a computer ;)

Edited by TiffsAndAstro