Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking for saturn

Ok with my omniXLT 150 & its 25mm EP when looking for saturn what can I expect to see?

I think I've got its general location thanks to stellarium but I dont know what i'm looking for.

any help would be appreciated :icon_rolleyes:

Hi,

This Java applet shows you what Saturn and it's brighter moons look like at any particular time. You should be able to see something like this though your scope (except for the initials of each moon of course !):

Saturn's Moons#

Use the inverted view option as yours is a Newtonian scope. Some of the moons are pretty faint so you will need patience and dark skies to spot them.

Hope that helps,

John

It will be larger than a star, with a yellowish colour. You will definitely see the rings although at the moment they look like a line through the planet. Under higher magnification and good seeing you may see an equatorial band or two on the planet and up to five moons.

Once you see Saturn, you'll know it instantly and that first view should blow your socks off, at the moment, look for what looks like a bright yellow star below Leo, and good luck.

Well I didnt see it tonight but then I came in after only an hour anyways. Really need to work on getting my back/hips capable of doing a lil more.

If its still visible tomorrow night i'll have another hunt around for it. at least i wasnt getting so badly lost tonight & got a good look at the moon too.

Yeah having a high seat to take the weight off will be a great help will have to scour my local Aldis and find one.

Still desperately working on getting a second shed in the back garden so i dont have to lug everything in and out of the house & up & down stairs as well (not so bad setting up, i usually have help just bringing it all in i have to do on my own)

EDIT: also I think I was finding my around better thanks to the light form the moon making the dimmer stars fade into the darkness. well i'll find out next time i take it out no doubt

Archived