Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sourcing replacement parts

I’m trying to find a couple of replacement parts for some of my astro gear. 

I got a secondhand MEF 3 microfocuser for my Tak but it’s missing one of the brass screws for attaching it. Seems to be ok with only one but would like the second for to make sure it holds ok. 

IMG_3731.thumb.jpeg.ca55b8e1222e514bddaf6f157c88556f.jpeg

The plastic part on the securing bolt on my SkyWatcher Extension Tube has come loose so I can’t get it to stay tightened up to the mount. Wobbly mounts are now fun. 

IMG_3732.thumb.jpeg.fa4c1e958f959a5ac8455f9d367bbef7.jpeg

Any suggestions on where I could source either of these greatly appreciated :) 

The screw in the brass collar looks to be steel so, if you are able to remove the focuser knobs, take it into a bike shop or similar- we often have little grub screws laying around.

Plastic headede bolts like that are notorious for loosing theirm grip on the shaft. If the plastic head comes right off, try bonding it with araldite or similar?

• Thanks 1

On 19/01/2024 at 10:55, Swoop1 said:

The screw in the brass collar looks to be steel so, if you are able to remove the focuser knobs, take it into a bike shop or similar- we often have little grub screws laying around.

Plastic headede bolts like that are notorious for loosing theirm grip on the shaft. If the plastic head comes right off, try bonding it with araldite or similar?

Araldite seems to have worked its magic. Will need a session or two to see if it holds but seems pretty solid :)

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 10:57, doublevodka said:

Don't know anywhere specifically, but It might be worth dropping FLO an email via https://www.firstlightoptics.com/contact.html I've seen on previous threads on here that they can be quite helpful for this sort of thing 👍

I’ve emailed FLO so fingers crossed. I think it’s m2.5 so hopefully shouldn’t be difficult to find a replacement. 

• Like 1

The Araldite repair held up through its first session last night so looking good 👍 

FLO pointed me in the right direction for grub screws which arrived today. Order is restored. I have spare grub screws if anyone else finds they need one (M2.5 3mm) :)

IMG_3746.thumb.jpeg.7987ec82240ab20a70751dd31d9f0fa4.jpeg 

Edited by Littleguy80