NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron NexYZ 3-AXIS Universal Smartphone Adapter

Does anyone have any experience of suing the Celestron NexYZ 3-AXIS Universal Smartphone Adapter fir quick snaps shots and is it a positive addition you would recommend for visual astronomers who do t want to spend or have the hassle of more serious AP? 

Yes I have one and I’ve managed to grab some reasonable shots with it. One thing I have found is that with a heavier phone it can flex so be wary of that. It’s designed to allow movement across all three planes but it is quite heavy as a consequence. I don’t bother with any more because I have realised that actually seeing rather than recording floats my boat.

Edited by Spile
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

Does anyone have any experience of suing the Celestron NexYZ 3-AXIS Universal Smartphone Adapter fir quick snaps shots and is it a positive addition you would recommend for visual astronomers who do t want to spend or have the hassle of more serious AP? 

I would go for the MoveShootMove Allview rather than the NeXYZ. It is all metal, nice and rigid and has fine adjustments which hold their position. It basically resolves any of the issues with the NeXYZ which has some flex and doesn’t hold its position so well. Buy it direct from MSM; it will take a little longer but cheaper than other sources.

https://www.moveshootmove.com/collections/move-shoot-move-rotator/products/3-axis-smartphone-adapter-for-digiscoping-telescope-spotting-scope-adapters

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

I would go for the MoveShootMove Allview rather than the NeXYZ. It is all metal, nice and rigid and has fine adjustments which hold their position. It basically resolves any of the issues with the NeXYZ which has some flex and doesn’t hold its position so well. Buy it direct from MSM; it will take a little longer but cheaper than other sources.

https://www.moveshootmove.com/collections/move-shoot-move-rotator/products/3-axis-smartphone-adapter-for-digiscoping-telescope-spotting-scope-adapters

I've used mine for imaging the moon with a pixel 6 which isn't a light phone.  The MSM is great.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Spile said:

Yes I have one and I’ve managed to grab some reasonable shots with it. One thing I have found is that with a heavier phone it can flex so be wary of that. It’s designed to allow movement across all three planes but it is quite heavy as a consequence. I don’t bother suit any more because I have realised that actually seeing rather than recording floats my boat.

What shots did you take and with what scope ? 

On 18/01/2024 at 20:19, Beardy30 said:

Sorry having issues with my phone - what sort of thing has everyone managed to shoot other than the moon? 

spacer.pngspacer.png

These are with a smartphone and NexYz unprocessed and no stacking.

• Like 2

On 18/01/2024 at 20:19, Beardy30 said:

Sorry having issues with my phone - what sort of thing has everyone managed to shoot other than the moon? 

Which phone do you have?

I have a NeXYZ but for me (we are all different) I found it over engineered, heavy and in practice no better than a simple, much lighter £10 adapter. Other than the moon I’ve taken smartphone snaps of…

The Sun

The International Space Station passing the sun

Jupiter

Saturn

Mars

Venus

Neptune

Uranus 

Orion Nebula

Various Star Clusters

A Comet

The Ring Nebula 

Dumbbell Nebula

Various Globular Clusters

Various Galaxies

Probably forgotten something. Basically everything that you can see at the eyepiece. I find it useful to record my observations and occasionally a bit of fun processing especially on those far too many cloudy nights. 

To get an idea of what people are doing have you had a look at the “Imaging - Smartphone / Tablets” on this site…

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/279-imaging-smartphone-tablets/

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

I have a NeXYZ but for me (we are all different) I found it over engineered, heavy and in practice no better than a simple, much lighter £10 adapter. Other than the moon I’ve taken smartphone snaps of…

The Sun

The International Space Station passing the sun

Jupiter

Saturn

Mars

Venus

Neptune

Uranus 

Orion Nebula

Various Star Clusters

A Comet

The Ring Nebula 

Dumbbell Nebula

Various Globular Clusters

Various Galaxies

Probably forgotten something. Basically everything that you can see at the eyepiece. I find it useful to record my observations and occasionally a bit of fun processing especially on those far too many cloudy nights. 

To get an idea of what people are doing have you had a look at the “Imaging - Smartphone / Tablets” on this site…

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/279-imaging-smartphone-tablets/

Thanks I will take a look