Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 2023 Challenge 9 - The Earth and the Moon

As always some terrific entries with a huge variation in the types of image submitted.  This has made the judging quite tricky since there was quite a wide spread of votes.  However we now have our three winners along with a special mention for another.  

1. IB20 Moon Halo

image.png.18ac65c98b2c83dee5af389d3b9234fc.png2)

High cloud with ice crystals have created this effect which must have had IB20 hurrying to grab his camera.  A very striking image

2. DaveW Pomona Dock, Salford

image.png.c50263fb8839d9a6a19df5fe7ae4d2e2.png

A very mundane title for a spectacular image.  Capturing an image like this takes a lot of planning and perseverence.  Superb

3) Derbyshire Dave - The moon over Florence Cathedral

image.png.b30471c12c1c8b1774af8ddd691021cb.png

The cathedral reaching up to the the heavens, what a wonderful image!

During the period of  this challenge we had a very rare appearence of  nacreous clouds.  The clouds are made up of very fine ice crystals, much smaller than normal ice clouds.  They require very cold temperatures to form and are more commonly seen in extreme northerly latititudes.  They reflect light from a recently set sun producing a luminescent effect and can contain a spread of colours.  Scotty1 managed to capture this in the image below.  It isn't one of our winners because although the moon is in view it is the cloud that steels the show and this isn't a cloud challenge!  

image.png.97954d346a4b3051ee582ad216cb0ebf.png

Well done everyone who entered.  I am sorry if you are amongst those who submitted a wonderful image and aren't in the frame, in a parallel universe the selection could have been completely different!

• Like 10

Hi Martin and all admins and mods.

Thanks very much for the votes and I'm pleased you liked the image. It just goes to show the power of the Photopills app to get you into the correct position at the right time.

I really enjoyed the submissions here and loved so many of the shots through the clouds and trees. I don't like it when I do it however and I find that rather strange !

A special mention from me for Agnes ( Ags ) and her irreverent comments about her own photos. Had me laughing a few times and she obviously enjoyed the challenge  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Edited by davew
  • Like 2