SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NINA and the Hocus Focus Plugin - Not installing

Morning all.

I am a new user of NINA and am very pleased with the software having migrated across from SGP. I am using version 2.3 HF2 (not the Beta/Nightly versions) on a Windows 10 laptop.

Recently I have been exploring the plugins for the software and have successfully downloaded the 3-Star Alignment and Orbuculum with no issues at all. Then I came across Hocus Focus and as I sometimes use a long focal length RC I decided to download this as well (version 2.0.0.13). I downloaded and installed this from within NINA, restarted the computer and received an error message to the effect that it failed to load the plugin and to download an update (no suggestions, hints or tips provided as to where such an update might be lurking). It goes on to say that it cannot find the files in the AppData\Local\Plugins\NINA\Hocus Focus directory. When I view the directory the files are there.

So, I uninstalled Hocus Focus, deleted the folder in Plugins and manually downloaded the programme from GitHub into the same directory. No joy.

It was then I came across a link suggesting a new version of Hocus Focus is available for download in GitHub. Again, I downloaded and extracted the files to the required directory and this failed to work too.

It seems odd that other plugins work fine but this one does not. I have raised this on Discord for NINA but no replies as yet. If anyone has experienced this or has any other suggestions (other than I am too stupid, which I know already!) then please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

John

Thank you Adrian.

It looks from the link that the chap lost all his plugins upgrading to a newer version 3.0, which I believe is the beta version then reinstated version 2 and recovered the plugins.

Im using version 2 and finding that some plugins work and hocus focus doesn’t. 

Cheers

John

Edited by Hughsie
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

I'm using version 2 and finding that some plugins work and hocus focus doesn’t. 

Ah. I just wondered whether this bit was of relevance : "I deleted all the plugins in the NINA/Plugins folder and reinstalled."

Adrian

1 hour ago, Adreneline said:

Ah. I just wondered whether this bit was of relevance : "I deleted all the plugins in the NINA/Plugins folder and reinstalled."

Adrian

Yeah, tried that Adrian, no luck I’m afraid.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Yeah, tried that Adrian, no luck I’m afraid.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hope you get sorted because Hocus Focus is worth using and offers a lot of potential value to understanding your optical train.

Good luck.

Adrian

HI John, I'm also a new NINA user so still getting to grips with it. Getting there slowly with it. There is a Facebook Nina users group I joined which iv had some good answers/solutions back. Over 4000 NINA  users on there so you might find an answer there. 

Screenshot_2024-01-11-21-12-46-518_com.facebook.katana.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ISSUE RESOLVED - USER ERROR

Whilst I had downloaded the latest Release Version of N.I.N.A. this was in face the 32-bit programme as somewhere in the recesses of my brain I believed my motor focuser only operated on 32-bit software. Reviewing the Primaluce Lab website, I now understand that my Sesto Sense V1 comes with both 32 and 64 bit drivers. 

With this in mind I copied my equipment profiles across to a USB memory stick, uninstalled N.I.N.A. and installed the 64-bit Release version. Hocus Focus now loads and I also now have access to the Offline Sky Survey with images (something else the 32-bit version did not support).

Thank you to everyone who responded, but this one is down to user error. Incidentally, on the N.I.N.A. download page it describes the 32-bit download as 'Deprecated'. When I looked up what this word means in IT parlance Google replied 'DO NOT USE' which begs the question why it's even there or maybe I am an idiot just trying to safe face :) I suspect the latter!

John