NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Warranty FLO

Hi all 

Does anyone know if you purchase an item from FLO, but sell that item within the warranty period does that item still hold warranty or is it lost because the item changed hands? Thanks Simon 

From their website https://www.firstlightoptics.com/terms-and-conditions.html

Minimum Two-Year Warranty
Items purchased at FLO are covered by a minimum two-year warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. What does that mean? It means if the manufacturer/distributor offers only a one-year warranty, we will increase it to two years. Free of charge. And of course, if the manufacturer offers longer, you will be covered by that. So all gain and no loss. Warranties are non-transferable and apply to the original purchaser only.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Simon Pepper said:

Thanks Richard a bit annoying but totally understandable. 

It's worth checking the warranty of the individual manufacturer - some, but not many will offer a transferable warranty - although that does tend to be the more expensive items. Unistellar for example offer a 2 year transferable warranty.

• Like 1

The general rule among suppliers is that warranty is not transferrable.
Bringing in a 2nd owner opens a right can of worms for the 'it was like that from new' type of arguments.
From experience I fully understand (and support) FLOs policy.

May I give a non astro example?

I get involved with some machinery that sometimes gets sold on. Sometimes quite early in the equipment life.
Somehow the new owner seems to think he can call on us for free advice on installation, operator training, accuracy issues, etc.
This is after buying a machine that may have been un-serviced (well actually neglected) and known problems went unfixed. Then he has DIY installed.
When we offer to inspect/service/train/install at a price, we are very unpopular.

• Like 3

Yeah totally makes sense and I thought it would be the case. I am sure I looked on FLO last week and never saw that mentioned hence why I asked here. Will have to make a decision on a used camera now thankfully its being sold on here and 99% of this community is top notch :) 

That’s why it’s best to be able to see the merchandise first, especially used. Or at least a recent vid of it in operation if possible.

Yes, generally on here, we're up front and honest, and with cameras the seller may not know it’s true extent of operation, leaving out shutter count for one example.

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Like 1