NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Taking the 150PL for a spin

RobertI

I’d only planned a five minute session with the binoculars but it was so clear I thought I ought to get one of the scopes out. Thinking I might have a go at the pup, I decided to get the 150PL out. It was actually lovely to reacquaint with this very capable scope - first look at Sirius was really nice with four sharp diffraction spikes, which were actually very pleasing to the eye, and also helped focus. Sadly, Sirius itself was far too wobbly to attempt to see the pup, so I had to look elsewhere. With a Morpheus 17.5mm in, giving 68x, I enjoyed some nice views of M42, M35-38, M97, M109, M51, M44 plus lots more. It was great fun swinging the canon around the sky and dodging the puffy scudding clouds - the whole thing really reminded me of the times I spent with my first scope as a teenager, a similar 6” Newt. I’m always surprised what a good deep sky scope a 6” F8 scope makes, with sharp stars and contrasty views.

1pm came and I got a bonus - all the street lights went off (a recent development) so I had even darker skies. Sadly by this point cramp was starting to set into my feet - a potential downside to standing to observe - so happy to pack away for the night. 

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Only just seen this post Rob, sounds like you had a pleasant time with the 150 f8.
I often ponder these scopes as they are clearly most capable.

I recall when I was getting scope buying fever, many years ago, a local chap showed me various targets in a Tal1, a Tasco f5 and another much older 6" f8 or perhaps longer, at that time the long scope looked to my inexperienced eye a monster.
But what a view to behold.

• Like 1