Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Identification Help: Possible Milky Way Sighting?

Hello fellow stargazers,

I recently captured a photo of the night sky in a remote, dark location outside the city, and I'm wondering if what I've captured might be the Milky Way. I've been passionate about astronomy for some time, but I'm still learning to identify celestial objects accurately.

I'm particularly curious if the faint band of stars and the nebulous appearance towards the right side of the photo could indeed be the Milky Way. If anyone with more expertise in astrophotography or night sky identification could offer insights or confirmations, I'd greatly appreciate it.

milk.PNG.fd824d67d9b18f3f47452a3add69aaa2.PNG

• Like 5

It's great to find a dark site, and yes that is the Milky Way, in Sagittarius! Also, the pink blob towards the right edge is the Lagoon Nebula, M8.

Regards, Mike.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mcrowle said:

It's great to find a dark site, and yes that is the Milky Way, in Sagittarius! Also, the pink blob towards the right edge is the Lagoon Nebula, M8.

Regards, Mike.

Hey Mike,

Thanks a lot for the heads up! I'm thrilled to know that it is indeed the Milky Way in the photo. Sagittarius seems to have a wealth of celestial wonders, including the stunning Lagoon Nebula (M8), which adds that captivating pink hue to the scene.

Best Regards.

16 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Apologies - this is pretty rough and ready:

milk-solved.jpg.e4cd40957702d302501ffefb92c2b08c.jpg

... gives you an idea though.

Thanks for the clarifaction, I'll certainly use these details to pinpoint the exact locations in the night sky. Your input is incredibly helpful and appreciated.

Best Regards.

• Like 2