Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Latitude pivot is stuck solid at 60deg.

Hi all

Been away for far too long just getting back into the Hobby. I just purchased from a guy a brand new never been open or used EQ5 MOUNT been sat in the loft for 5 years so needs and complete re- grease and tune up. After an inspection the only problem I have found is the latitude pivot bolt under the black side caps is frozen solid  I suspect the grease has gone rock hard. My question is how do you remove the black plastic caps as I want to keep the mount in original condition as possible. are they just pushed on or are they glued on? if glued on will some gentle heating help soften the glue. 

Edited by The storm fisherman

Posted (edited)

Fortunately, the end caps did come off, but they are basically scrap due to the glue holding them on did not soften very well with heat possible due to age. I will at a later stage get a replacement solution for them. The grease that was still there is still soft but not much of it, the nut and bolt was on so tight had to use an extension bar and a couple of taps from the rubber mallet to free it off.

Most of the mount is now stripped and clean, just waiting on new UK bearings the ones in there are probably ok but I only Want to do this job once. I will be putting all back together when the new bearings arrive along with the new motorized go-to kit I will add at the same time.

Edited by The storm fisherman
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update time the bearings have arrived and the mount has now been stripped degreased and new bearings fitted, unfortunately the thrust bearing was too thick so I reused the old metal one as it looked brand new I may replace that bearing at a later date. The mount has now been put back together and backlash tuned out the mount now feels very smooth and free running. Just waiting for guide scope and camera to arrive, In the mean time I am fitting an on-step V4 pro to the mount to give motorized GOTO control see other post.

• Like 1