Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observation site in Stoke on Trent

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some guidance for good observation locations in Stoke on Trent area. Our back garden would actually be decent except for a ludicrously bright street light pointing directly at it. 

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Clear skies.

S.

1 hour ago, Simon Stewart said:

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some guidance for good observation locations in Stoke on Trent area. Our back garden would actually be decent except for a ludicrously bright street light pointing directly at it. 

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Clear skies.

S.

It all depends on where in Stoke you are and how far you are prepared to travel. Personally, from there I would head out towards Leek and into the Peak District, where you can find some pretty dark spots. Up around the Roaches on the way to Buxton can be good, as is anywhere around The Goyt Valley, but it is quite remote in some of those parts, so think about personal safety.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, and yes personal safety is an overarching concern. Taking the scope by car isn't a major concern, but I'll be taking my child as well.

It's a genuine shame that most places that provide reasonable darkness outside of gardens are not particularly safe. 

Hopefully we'll find something. 

• Like 1

A possibility of observing in your back garden could be asking your local council to fit sheilds to the offending light. Even better if you say that the streetlight shines directly into your child's or your bedroom too, play the wildlife and nature angle too. You never know until you ask the council.  Theres lots of this subject on here if you search streetlights. I said to my local council here about shielding two streetlights and within a month they had done so. 

Another possibility is to put up some sort of makeshift sheild for your garden to block out the streetlight? 

Would this make a difference? 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee

On SGL I have read quite a few reports of success from street light shields.
Sorry I don't have any links to hand. Maybe one of the contributors will remember and put in a comment?
People have made shades in their gardens. A (taller) beach wind break type of thing has been mentioned.
Another option is to install a washing line at height. Hang a tarp or similar when required.

If you can make your garden more usable, you will get a lot more viewing in.

What scope do you have?