Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The infamous flooded patio problem...

Mr Spock

On 02/01/2024 at 18:15, Mr Spock said:

I think this is the reality of our weather now. This never used to happen.

Between today and yesterday we have already had half the month's average rainfall...

And it's not done yet - it's still pouring down :sad2:

On the other hand, six months ago this would be seriously flooding out your shed.

Submersible pumps are pretty cheap.  We got one for our (seasonal) swimming pool.  The only issue is that when you need to use it in anger, it's inevitable the drains will be overwhelmed too.  Is there a neighbour you don't get along with?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Nice photo..

..but what's that clear bluish coloured area running along the top of the photo from middle to the right?? I know it sounds ludicrous, but it almost looks like, er, cloudless sky??🤦‍♂️🫣😲

Dave

We do get a lot of blue skies in this part of Texas.  In fact, it was clear here for the entirety between Christmas and New Years.  It's cloudy and drizzling right now, though.  We need the rain.  We were over 10 inches behind average (32 to 34 inches around here) for 2023.

Of course, the further west you go in Texas, the more clear days you get because it gets more and more arid moving away from the Gulf of Mexico and toward the Desert Southwest.

This map of average annual rainfall pretty closely tracks clear sky days.  Less rainfall equals more sunshine:

spacer.png

Moving from east to west across Texas, you go from Cypress swamps to high desert.  I don't know of any European country that can say that.  Australia is most similar to Texas in this and many other respects, though.

• Like 1

Here's my weather averages for this house. 
Abs - is the absolute maximum / minimum for temperature, maximum for rain. As you can see this October at 64.8mm was the long term record. However, there are many other deluges in the past that have been much larger. I remember sitting in the house and watching that 109.6mm one June come down. It was astonishing to watch, but, it did not flood the patio!
LTA is the long term averages. COM can be ignored as that's the comparison for current months - so for example, December just gone was 150% on rainfall, but February was only 10%...

Weatheraverages.thumb.jpg.344244a3aed39f30ed529ab25c34248e.jpg

Here's 2023

Weather2023.thumb.jpg.02c4afed09e1d883bd734814d49f944d.jpg

As you can see July was a poor month to take a holiday :tongue2:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

As you can see July was a poor month to take a holiday :tongue2:

Or a great month to take a holiday somewhere else with better weather.  I usually vacation in the Mountain West during the heat of summer here.

7 hours ago, Louis D said:

Or a great month to take a holiday somewhere else with better weather.  I usually vacation in the Mountain West during the heat of summer here.

I was in Austria :wink2:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I was in Austria :wink2:

Absolutely loved the scenery and the people when the wife and I vacationed there 30 years ago.  Hopefully, nothing has changed for the worse.