Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DiY observingseat/chair.

Naughty Neal

Here are a few pics of my recently finished adjustable position observing seat , it is based on the seat on Jerry Oltion webpage.

The main frame is made from lightweight Obeche hardwood , Obeche comes  from West /Central Africa and is quite an abundant timber source.

Grain is very straight and close , typically ideal for furniture or musical instruments and is an indoor wood and has a good strength to weight ratio 

Colour wise the wood  is pale yellow /straw colour, I haven't added any stain or varnish but simply ragged on two coats of  clear Brywax and buffed  it up with a duster.

I have used plywood for added strength in other areas and oak dowels for the seat support rests, no complecated joints  are used and all is simply glued and screwed   together , the only awkward bit is positioning and drilling out the dowels holes. In all the seat comes in at just under 7 1/4 lbs.

DSCF1651.thumb.JPG.559f1f9887eebe157fd4dea5f5de872a.JPGDSCF1652.thumb.JPG.0de8f1bd2e476c6cc49bc2091a256529.JPGDSCF1653.thumb.JPG.449b2e0f6e23997a8f13213a0c91c5f1.JPGDSCF1654.thumb.JPG.bb73e84ce08e83812e9b7a9f3e7a1082.JPGDSCF1655.thumb.JPG.4801a5fb783734e8096fce6300511e7f.JPG

Seeing  how this has come out and the nice colour /finish of the wood and the lighter  weight, I have another project in mind now.

My skywatcher 1.75" tripod might be reurbished with some nice wood replacing the cold stainless steel legs.

Edited by Naughty Neal
  • Like 7

Mine cost a bit more then your almost free chair TC, I only had an off cut of 18mm ply ,a pair of bolts  and a tin of wax I didn't have to buy .

I sourced my wood from Woodshop direct and they cut/machined  all the wood to my cutting list. I think I paid with p&p about £48/£50 for the Obeche.

My  skywatcher 1.75" tripod  works out as approx . £44 for the Obeche with p&p, I have  a bit more scouring the forum and internet yet to decide on the final leg design etc ,etc and to measure the height low and high I will need when sitting  on the seat . 

• Like 1