Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cheshire collimator bent crosshairs

Hi guys

Just took delivery of this item for my just acquired 8 inch StellaLyra dob. Not tried to use yet. One of the 2 wires forming the crosshairs is bowed so they presumably don't intersect in the centre of the tube. How much of an issue is this? Should I try to fix it or return or use as is? I'm hoping for an acceptable solution soon as aiming to use the scope at Christmas. I'll be using the astrobaby collimation guide.

TIA

IMG_20231219_192646314.jpg

Edited by greenery
Spelling

You only use those crosshairs to aim the centreline of the Cheshire at the centre-spot of the mirror, I.e. collimating the eyepiece/focuser tube to the primary. Even if bent you should be able to estimate where the proper crosshair centre should be. For the primary, they don’t come into it: you use the reflection of the angled-illuminated face, which might have its own cross-etchings: you line that up also with the primary’s centre-spot using the primary’s adjustment screws.

I’d still return it, though.

Cheers, Magnus

Edited by Captain Scarlet