Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Total rookie first time using Heritage 130p, my first day experience (so far, the night is young) :)

CharlyLeyequien

So, it finally arrived and I was so happy, I immediately went to my roof to collimate and align the lil beauty and have it ready, and I just went out to see the only thing I can see, Jupiter and the Moon(Bortle 7 city), and it was amazing hahaha

First I gotta say, I was a bit nervous, got overwhelmed with big words like collimation and adjusting the viewfinder, but it was all childs play, extremely simple, I took about 40 mins all in all, and considering my 0 experience, that was good(I think)

What I gotta say is that I thought the telescope would be a bit more stable, maybe it is just that I need to be more careful, but I did lock it up and it still moved very easily, but again, maybe it is my inexperience

Now, I have to say that I am extremely surprised and never really gave it any thought, that the sky moves so fast, one minute I had the moon in focus and another it was already leaving focus lol, I mean, it is kind of obvious, but I had seriously never considered that haha

Also, I thought that with the 10mm lens I would see the moon a bit bigger, but it fit perfectly inside the eyepiece, that was also a surprise, but I am not going to get any more powerful eyepiece until later on(And I know that I need to make sure that I can use them with the telescope, can't quite remember why lol, but I will look at the vids you guys shared again)

I am so happy, gonna be looking at the sky much more from now on :)

Edited by CharlyLeyequien
  • Like 11

8 hours ago, CharlyLeyequien said:

So, it finally arrived and I was so happy, I immediately went to my roof to collimate and align the lil beauty and have it ready, and I just went out to see the only thing I can see, Jupiter and the Moon(Bortle 7 city), and it was amazing hahaha

First I gotta say, I was a bit nervous, got overwhelmed with big words like collimation and adjusting the viewfinder, but it was all childs play, extremely simple, I took about 40 mins all in all, and considering my 0 experience, that was good(I think)

What I gotta say is that I thought the telescope would be a bit more stable, maybe it is just that I need to be more careful, but I did lock it up and it still moved very easily, but again, maybe it is my inexperience

Now, I have to say that I am extremely surprised and never really gave it any thought, that the sky moves so fast, one minute I had the moon in focus and another it was already leaving focus lol, I mean, it is kind of obvious, but I had seriously never considered that haha

Also, I thought that with the 10mm lens I would see the moon a bit bigger, but it fit perfectly inside the eyepiece, that was also a surprise, but I am not going to get any more powerful eyepiece until later on(And I know that I need to make sure that I can use them with the telescope, can't quite remember why lol, but I will look at the vids you guys shared again)

Well done, sounds like you’re well on the way with your astro journey and that scope will serve you well (I have one myself). 🙂

• Like 1

It’s good to read that you haven’t fallen down the trap of thinking you need to keep spending money to improve your experience. Visual is really about a patience and a willingness to learn. The only thing I’d recommend when starting out is a copy of Turn Left at Orion and a star app ideally on a tablet.

• Like 2

I have the slightly larger Heritage 150p. The nature of the Dobsonian base is that you learn to nudge it to keep the object you are observing in the field of view; this means that is actually beneficial if it turns easily on the base.

It's counter-intuitive initially, because everything appears rotated by 180 degrees, but think of it like dragging a mouse on a computer - as the moon disappears off to the left of the field of view, "drag" it to the right, and you'll keep it centred.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 19/12/2023 at 01:09, CharlyLeyequien said:

With a 650mm focal length, your 10mm eyepiece is only giving you 65x magnification and your scope is capable of over twice that. So when you're used to it and start thinking about upgrading your view, check out EPs at 4 or 5mm focal lengths. You can then get super close-ups of the Moon and planets. 😉

Or get a 2x Barlow lens.  Some of these can also be used at 1.5x as well by unscrewing the black cell at the bottom and screwing it into the filter thread of an eyepiece.  This would give you magnifications of 39x and 52x with your 25mm eyepiece, plus 97x and 130x with your 10mm eyepiece.

FLO do such a model for just £27.  Go to https://www.firstlightoptics.com/barlows/astro-essentials-125-2x-barlow-with-t-thread.html

Edited by Second Time Around
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

Or get a 2x Barlow lens.  Some of these can also be used at 1.5x as well by unscrewing the black cell at the bottom and screwing it into the filter thread of an eyepiece.  This would give you magnifications of 39x and 52x with your 25mm eyepiece, plus 97x and 130x with your 10mm eyepiece.

FLO do such a model for just £27.  Go to https://www.firstlightoptics.com/barlows/astro-essentials-125-2x-barlow-with-t-thread.html

I was gently suggesting that the stock 10mm EP could be improved upon....😉

• Like 1