Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

iOptron HEM27 with or without iPolar advice please

fwm891

Hi,

I've been dithering for a while now about changing my grab-n-go mount for something that will take more weight, will operate via an ASIAIR Plus and last for 3-4 hours on something like the smaller Celestron battery pack.

Originally I considered the HEM15 and the AM3 (I've seen the iOptron video of the mount swinging an 8 inch ScT around) but I don't like running a mount at it's maximum therefore I've since been thinking that possibly the HEM27(A) would give me more than enough grunt to handle my 8 inch RASA which would be the largest scope I'd look to use for grab-n-go. The AM5 is too expensive although it is getting good reviews?

I currently use an AZ-GTi on a Surveyors tripod as my grab-n-go kit with an 80mm f6 triplet (1x & 0.8x red/flat) and either an ASI585 or ASI 2600MC Duo cameras, ASIAIR Plus, EAF and 9x 50 guidescope +120mm camera.

If there are users here of the HEM 27 how are you finding the mount. I've read some reviews which seem mixed on CN but I'd like to hear from users this side of the pond preferably.

Many thanks

Hi Francis, I use (when it's not cloudy, so very rarely) an HEM27 with Ipolar. I've been very happy with mine so far, carrying a 72ED / 1600MM / Mini EFW / Guide scope and camera. The ipolar is nice but a bit superfluous as 3 point polar align in NINA or Asiair works well and is free. Mine tracks at around 0.7 rms  which is about as good as I can get in my local seeing.

Also carries my C9.25 (when well balanced) for planetary.

• Thanks 1

@Elp and @knobby many thanks for the link and the notes on the HEM27. I currently use the ASIAIR Plus's PA routine to align my AZ-GTi so would be more than happy to carry on in that mode. My thoughts just went along the lines of will I use the mount without the AA+ in which case the iPolar would be useful... Jury out on that ATM.

Thanks

If you've got the air the ipolar is pointless. You can always PA with the air then turn it off. The ipolar routine isn't as good as the asiair one, and you'll need a PC, the air needs less equipment "out in the field", more so if you've got the mini which can be powered with a usb power bank (the plus can't).

• Thanks 1

Decided to get the HEM27. Hoping one of the shows in the new year will offer a discount on one but given the cost of getting there it’s probably cheaper to just order online anyway. 
 Here’s hoping 🤞 Santa 🎅 makes you all happy this year! 

• Like 1