Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 1491 - Fossil Footprint Nebula

Rodd

I'm not sure I have ever been this dissapointed in one of my images.  I just don't understand it.  This is the first narrowband image I have completed with the TOA and .99x flattener.  I had high hopes.  With 17.5 hours, you'd think there was 5.  Noise was off the charts, and there is what I believe to be incorrect red dust around the upper and right perimeter.  Conditions were very poor when I shot the SII, so maybe that's what it is.  I was hesitant to post due to the quality of the image, but I am done with it.  If 17.5 hours looks like this, 17.5 x 2 won't look much better.  So it is what it is.  The problem with adding data would be that all channels are weak; I would need to basically redo the shoot.  

TOA 130 and .99x flattener/reducer with ASI 1600..  137 300 sec Ha; 60 m300 sec OIII; 63 300 sec SII.  Bin2

Edit-decided to add another version.  The first is for lighter screens and the second is for darker screens

c6.thumb.jpg.7e5d1b175ced568145c1e68ae63d88aa.jpg

c5.thumb.jpg.a1fa0613478202cd79cbc5d8f676b4e9.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

I tried this object a few years ago and for the same reasons as you state it did not see the light of day.

You have brought out more detail than I did.

It probably didnt help that I shot most of the Ha during a full Moon, and 1/2 SII during very poor conditions.  Still....

• Like 1