Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light for Voigtlander APO-Lanthar SL 180mm F4 lens.

Gnosis

This is a stellar lens for everyday use, but is it any good when pointed at stellar objects? Here's a first light test shot. A very short integration time, since I was doing test shots for three lenses in one night, and I just wanted a handful of subs to get a look at the shape of the stars after a bit of post-processing. No fine tuning of the setup yet. There is considerable tilt to remedy, and I will be finessing the backfocus when I have a chance. Overall I am rather pleased. I did feel the urge to stop the lens down to f/5.6, but after fine tuning I think it will be usable wide open.

High res version and technical details here.

M42_V_180_5_6_compressed.jpg

Edited by Gnosis
  • Like 14

23 hours ago, Elp said:

They are fantastic lenses.

They sure are, and have appreciated quite a bit since their release. I also have the "little" brother to this lens, the Macro APO-Lanthar 125mm F2.5 SL, which is a fantastic macro lens. I'll be trying it out for astro use soon.