Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ Newtonian Telescope

I have a budget of around £300 (push to 350 with any addons I would need), I live in London, but the light pollution isn't bad in the late night when the neighbors go to sleep. I want to buy my first telescope for deep space viewing and was wondering if the Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ Newtonian Telescope would be any good for this. I was wondering if anyone has bought one and knows what to look out for and its better uses. I do occasionally go traveling to the countryside to meet family and it is very dark skies there so I would like a telescope that isn't too heavy or big that I can't fit in my car or carry it out. Any suggestions on any other telescopes, maybe a dobsonian? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi @Cyc! I saw your questions today.

I think the Astromaster is not a reputed scope. I don't own it, but it doesn't have good reviews. If I had the chance, I'll give up the Astromaster. 

What about the Sky-watcher Heritage 130p or 150p? Those are great reputed scopes. Not expensive and you can go for the biggest heritage, the 150p. But you'll need a stable table for sure!🙂

If you like eq mounted scopes, the Sky-watcher explorer 130p is good. It has the same optics as the heritage and it'll be satisfying. 

And if you need a grab-n-go Eq mounted scope for a reasonable price, a Sky-watcher Starquest 130p is good. We have it, it's easy, user friendly and well made. 👍

Best luck with your decision!

Nikolai.

Screenshot_20231216-180923.thumb.png.0583ed58b2bb343a1eb6df6e78828d2a.pngScreenshot_20231216-175721.thumb.png.58762db8660a78797f9fd2a8a7f844ce.png

Hi

The Star quest tripod I understand can be used in equatorial or altaz mode with slow motion controls, plus there's an optional motor drive that can be fitted and used when in equatorial mode. I quite like the ST102 refractor bundle with this mount. To reduce any chromatic aberration on really bright objects like the Moon just observe with only the centre cap on the telescope cover removed.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/sky-watcher-starquest-102r-f49-achromatic-refractor-telescope.html

If space is a consideration then there is also the Star quest 102MC bundle.

On telescope websites there are reviews found under the bundles but also on just the telescope listing.

Have fun.

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1