NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First attempt at a mosaic - M31 nine panel Lum Channel

AMcD

I wanted this season to see if I could achieve an LHaRGB mosaic.   On reflection, starting with a nine panel project on M31 was probably overly ambitious.  The project has been a constant battle since August against the weather, with virtually no nights without poor seeing and/or some high cloud, a persistently misbehaving mount and, ultimately, pretty poor data for all panels of only the first of five channels. Processing in PixInsight required some brute force. All that said, as a learning experience it has been invaluable, if highly frustrating.  Each panel is approximately 4.5 hours of integrations captured with my QHY268M and Antlia Pro Lum filter on my TS130 Photoline APO mounted on a Losmandy G11. Data acquired using SGPro. Constructive critiques most welcome.

M31_Lum_Final_SGL.thumb.png.c89db43e20055cc0a2f5c9369fbbc808.png

Edited by AMcD
  • Like 11

Looks good to me, nice even background, round stars throughout the image and no joins visible.

I admire your ambition and tenacity to see a project like this through in the UK on a single scope rig, keep going!👍🏼

• Thanks 1

I think this is fantastic. The detail in the dust lanes is just lovely. Well worth continuing.

For me, the star halos are a little too prominent, but that is purely a matter of personal taste. On the other hand, it does give them a nice luminous quality. Did you use BlurXtermintor and adjust the star halos setting, or something else?

Charles

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tomato said:

Looks good to me, nice even background, round stars throughout the image and no joins visible.

I admire your ambition and tenacity to see a project like this through in the UK on a single scope rig, keep going!👍🏼

Many thanks for the encouragement @tomato.  Doing this in the UK certainly adds to the challenge.  I have a feeling this will be a multi-season project!

45 minutes ago, cfinn said:

I think this is fantastic. The detail in the dust lanes is just lovely. Well worth continuing.

For me, the star halos are a little too prominent, but that is purely a matter of personal taste. On the other hand, it does give them a nice luminous quality. Did you use BlurXtermintor and adjust the star halos setting, or something else?

Charles

Thanks for your kind words @cfinn.  The star halos have been one of the challenges.  I did use BlurX to try to address them but much of the data suffered from intermittent high cloud. I think suspect this adds to the challenge of eradicating the halos.  One consequence of the appalling weather conditions at present means I will have plenty of time to keep playing with the data, so I will keep at it!

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 20:45, WolfieGlos said:

Having not long completed a 6 panel in OSC, like Tomato, I applaud you trying this! Keep it up, it’ll be an incredible result at the end.

Thanks @WolfieGlos.  These comments renew my determination to finish it, although I think given the time it takes to gather nine panels for each channel it may need next Autumn/Winter to finish gathering the data!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Looks amazing already, this will be spectacular with RGB!

Admirable dedication for one project too, patience really is a virtue in this hobby with the weather being what it is.

Many thanks, @ONIKKINEN.  Patience is indeed the defining virtue of this hobby.  By the end of this project I will be a Zen master😂

On 12/12/2023 at 09:55, Mr Spock said:

Looks lovely. Perhaps lower the black level a smidge?

Yes, I think you might be right.  It looked good on my iPad but in need of adjustment on my work laptop!