NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader Hyperion Zoom

Hey peeps,

I have a question regarding the above.

I used to own one years ago, but I've forgotten how it performed.

I am just getting back into astronomy after a long time out.

That is why I was looking towards getting a zoom as opposed to several individual eyepieces to begin with.

I had a multitude of Hyperion eyepieces before with the fine tuning rings too.

Also I know that there is a Barlow for the Baader zoom.

Is that worth considering?

Thanks for any advice

Malc

+1 for the baader zoom, definately my goto. Must admit, I bought the associated barlow at the same time and I've never used it. One other advantage of the baader zoom and eyepieces is that you can connect a dslr direct to them.

Hi Malc, Yet another plus one for the Zoom IV. However I find the fixed Hyperion EP’s more pleasing to use especially for the extra FOV at lower powers. All that said it is very convenient to just zoom in on an object and still achieve excellent viewing almost if not on par with the fixed. To my eyes anyway. Plus you aren’t fumbling about in the cold and dark changing eyepieces.  I also have the fine tuning rings too which I didn’t mind fumbling around with them but that’s also where the Zoom really proves its worth and found the Zoom was the goto eyepiece. 
Funnily enough, I also have the 2.25x Barlow which has only been used a couple times. Glad I’m not the only one! 😂 be careful though. It depends what scope you use as you can run out of resolution at higher magnifications. 

Edited by JonHigh
  • Like 1

Another Baader zoom user. Very happy with my Mk3, bought new. Yes I have had it for a few years.
I also have the little used barlow and often used Hyperions.

I own a couple of lower cost zooms. One is optically near (but not) Baader quality.
I regard them more as loan out than for personal use. But if I didn't have the Baader, who knows?
The lower cost zooms I have can't take a DSLR and the mechanism feels cheap.

• Like 1

Well this evening I've managed to snag a near mint one and matching Barlow off eBay.

The scope arrives tomorrow from FLO, so all is currently good. I really can't wait to get back into the saddle again.

Thanks for all your great advice and comments.

Malc😀

• Like 2