Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Crab nebula in broadband

CCD Imager

M1, a beautiful supernova remnant from 1054, almost 1000 years ago. A very common object, but not to be over looked and I havent imaged it for many years.

I decided to image in broadband to show off its true colour and calibrated with SPCC in Pixy to confirm

Taken with an Esprit 150 and ASI 183, around 6 hours of data - 4 hours of luminance on the 6th Dec when the skies unexpectantly cleared after midnight and the colour subs from a week or so ago with the moon around giving challenging gradients

Adrian

M1-LRGB-Pr.jpg

Edited by CCD Imager
  • Like 16

51 minutes ago, Fegato said:

I do see some funny coloured crabs that I really don't like. But that's lovely!

Thanks Robin, I wanted to make sure the colour balance was real, so correct exposures for each filter matched to the QE of the camera and then SPCC in Pixinsight, so should be very close to reality :)

2 minutes ago, CCD Imager said:

Thanks Robin, I wanted to make sure the colour balance was real, so correct exposures for each filter matched to the QE of the camera and then SPCC in Pixinsight, so should be very close to reality :)

Yes, I think you certainly succeeded with that. Great advert for the Esprit 150 too...  must admit I'd like that scope to complement my RASA. But with so little clear sky time here I just fear it wouldn't get enough use and targets would disappear before I'd finished them! I sometimes wonder about having one permanently down in Spain, but that's a lot of expense and complexity...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fegato said:

Yes, I think you certainly succeeded with that. Great advert for the Esprit 150 too...  must admit I'd like that scope to complement my RASA. But with so little clear sky time here I just fear it wouldn't get enough use and targets would disappear before I'd finished them! I sometimes wonder about having one permanently down in Spain, but that's a lot of expense and complexity...

The Esprit 150 is an excellent scope on planets too, probably virtually as good as a Tak TOA 150 or TEC 160, and about one third of the price.

The Esprit gives a more pleasing view on planets than my 14in Newtonian 9 nights out of 10, the latter only giving a better view when viewing conditions are very good.

John 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fegato said:

Everyone says how horrible our UK skies are and certainly a lot less clear than Spain, but if you add those few hours here and there, you might be surprised. Since having an automated dome observatory for the last 3 years, I have gathered so much more data. On the 5/6th December, I was just about to go to bed and noticed it was clear outside, the Met Office and ClearSky (the most trustworthy IMO) both forecast mostly clouds, but it happened to be clear with good FWHM, so I grabbed 4 hours of luminance to add to the colour I had already taken.

Mind you, Wales may be a bit different :)

Go for the Esprit!! I once had an Astrophysics 160 and the Esprit gives it a good run for its money!

Adrian

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CCD Imager said:

Go for the Esprit!! I once had an Astrophysics 160 and the Esprit gives it a good run for its money!

Adrian

I used to have an early (pre-Starfire) Astro Physics 6in f8 Refractor, and the Esprit 150 is both better colour corrected, and gives sharper views. 

John 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnturley said:

I used to have an early (pre-Starfire) Astro Physics 6in f8 Refractor, and the Esprit 150 is both better colour corrected, and gives sharper views. 

John 

Yes, the older AP refractors werent up to modern day standards. The 160 I had was current and superb

• Like 1