Scope: Orion 80 ED with WO .8 Flat 2 FR

EFR: 5.6

Mount: EQ6 Pro

Exposure Setting: Prime focus, ISO800 ICNR off Daylight WB

Exposures: 21 x 1 m, 10 x 330s, 3 x 10m total 1hr 45m taken 28/04/09

Seeing: Good no moon to speak of

Guiding: Orion Starshoot Autoguider using PHD

Focus: DSLR Focus

Stacking: DSS 10x1 darks, 5 x 330s darks, 2x10 m darks plus flats, no bias applied

Processing: PS7, Carboni Actions

Info: Situated in the Centaurus

Omega Centauri or NGC 5139 is a globular cluster[7] seen in the constellation of Centaurus, discovered by Edmond Halley in 1677 who listed it as a Nebula. Omega Centauri had been listed in Ptolemy's catalog 2000 years ago as a star. Lacaille included it in his catalog as number I.5. The English astronomer John William Herschel recognized it first as a globular cluster in the 1830s.[8] It orbits our galaxy, the Milky Way. One of the few that can be seen with the naked eye, it is both the brightest and the largest known globular cluster associated with the Milky Way. Omega Centauri is located about 18,300 light-years (5,600 pc) from Earth and contains several million Population II stars. The stars in its center are so crowded that they are believed to be only 0.1 light years away from each other. It is about 12 billion years old.

post-16015-133877369338_thumb.jpg

Taken between 7:00 and 11:00 pm from my backyward 23 klms from the major city of Perth

I envy you these southern deep-sky objects. I've seen this one from the Canaries but in British skies we have to make do with M13, which seems almost feeble by comparison.

Andrew

I envy you these southern deep-sky objects. I've seen this one from the Canaries but in British skies we have to make do with M13, which seems almost feeble by comparison.

Andrew

Actually I've seen some really nice images of M13 and it is comparitive

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen

Archived