M100

centroid

I was in 'two minds' whether to 'post' this one or not, as it was a bit 'noisey', and required more noise reduction technique application than I would normally use.

Its still a bit 'noisey' but its an 'image', which is better than no image at all I guess. :).

I got caught out with this one in exactly the same way as I did last week, with an M64 image, in that I started imaging with a lovely clear sky. Left it all running and went back indoors.

When I came back out, it had 'hazed' over, which had 'knocked' the contrast for 'six'.

Out of 10x600sec subs, four I had to scrap, and the image shown here, is the result of three good subs, and three mediocre ones.

The moral of the story is, keep a 'close eye' on the sky when imaging, as that pesky cloud can creep up on you when you aren't paying attention :)

Dave

post-13389-133877369332_thumb.jpg

I usually stay out in the obsy Alan, as it does have a comfortable and warm, warmroom, but there was something I wanted to watch on TV last night, hence going back indoors.

I had to 'pop' out at intervals to move the dome round, but didn't notice the 'seeing' deteriorating, as I should have done.

I really must pay attention :) :)

Dave

I think your due some better skies this week Dave... mine are pants...

Peter

It started off quite good last night Peter, but when 'packed it in' about 12.30, it had clouded right over.

Today is nice, with sunshine, blue sky, and 17.5C, but quite a few clouds around.

Tomorrow is forecast to be wet, but Friday is looking good.

Dave

Hi Dave, I've been suffering from the same skies as you being just up the road. I have never seen LP so bad locally owing to the moisture in the atmosphere. At the end of the day it is worth letting it all run while you kip in front of the telly and then discard the rubbish. The alternative is to have nothing at all.

Dennis

I do love m100 it is a perfect spiral, and I now like your image all the more considering the sky difficulties. The skill of muddling through and salvaging is unfortunately a significant part of UK astronomy. Well done! JohnH.

Hi Dave, I've been suffering from the same skies as you being just up the road. I have never seen LP so bad locally owing to the moisture in the atmosphere. At the end of the day it is worth letting it all run while you kip in front of the telly and then discard the rubbish. The alternative is to have nothing at all.

Dennis

I guess "half a loaf, is better than no loaf at all" Dennis :)

Dave

Nice image Dave, for such a short exposure.

At least you have some clear skies, here in the West Mids just lately, it's so long between good nights, when you go out at the same time, the objects have moved from one side of the sky to the other!

Barry.

That's come out rather nicely despite the intentions of the weather!

I find it difficult to know whether to stop the exposures or not. Last week the sky over my house was changing with every sub, so left it running just in case it got better.

Cheers,

Rich.

Archived