Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron 15x70, 25x70 and 20x80 binoculars? Monopods?

Hello! I'm still trying to make my first buy into amateur astronomy! I've been bouncing between small refractors like the Orion shorttube 80 and small dobsonians like the Starblast. However, my need to be able to put the thing in a backpack and hike with it (plus many comments in this forum) made me consider the smaller but equally cool option of binoculars! Currently, I am between the 15x70, 25x70 and 20x80 Celestron Skymaster series. I really like the grab-and-go appeal that binoculars have so I really want to avoid chunky tripods. My questions are:

1) Are the 15x70 ok for handheld astronomy? I am 30 years old and can hold some weight, I guess... although not too much weight!

2) Similar question, the magnification in the 25x70's probably make them too much for handheld views,no? Even if they are the same weight as the 15x70's.

3) If I went for the 25x70 or 20x80, is there a monopod that I could use for them? I like the camera monopods that have no legs and just stick into the ground. They only take the weight for you, not fix the binocular in place, but I think that would make a huge difference! Is that right?

4) I’ve also seen binoculars such as the nature dx 12x56 which seem definitely more compact. Are these roof binoculars good for astronomy, or should I stick with porro binoculars like the celestron skymaster 12x60?

Thanks again for all the nice comments!

Edited by Kerrschild

16 hours ago, Kerrschild said:

Are the 15x70 ok for handheld astronomy?

No, you will need a monopod. 

magnification in the 25x70's probably make them too much for handheld views,no?

The smaller field of view means that in addition to needing some support you could also do with a red dot finder. It will be easier to switch from one view to the other with a tripod rather than a monopod. It might still be possible with a monopod. 

I’ve also seen binoculars such as the nature dx 12x56 which seem definitely more compact. Are these roof binoculars good for astronomy, or should I stick with porro binoculars like the celestron skymaster 12x60?

At the cheaper end the general advice is to stick with porros. Once you pay enough you can get good roofs but I don't know where the cross over is. 10x50 binoculars can be hand held and so are much easier to pack in a bag. I guess the question really is how much space do you have in the bag? 

I'd go 10x50s for maximum portability if space is at a premium in your rucksack.

Better still for depth of reach a pair of 15x70s for which you DO need at least a monopod.

The latter will cost much more new, but buy the best you can afford.

A copy of Steve Tonkins' Binocular Astronomy Book is a good investment before buying anything, the man is a binocular genius👍😊. There's a used copy on ebay at the moment for £12.99 (nothing to do with me!😂)..

Have fun!

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Typo

I did ok handholding my 15x70s for brief periods since they were quite light, but a tripod was a big improvement for keeping them steady. 

Things might have changed, but the 15x70 Skymasters were notorious for poor quality control.  My first pair arrived with a baffle flopping around in a barrel  and I was never able to collimate the replacement pair very well, so I eventually binned them.  Here's one example (not me) from another forum:

I ordered them in Canada from Amazon.ca on the half price sale. Got them in three days. Returned them the next day (today). If those were true Celestron then their quality control has made darned sure I won't ever order Celestron again.

But others have had better luck.

Edited by jjohnson3803