Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mosaic from the Squid to NGC6946

gorann

Clouds and/or full moon made me dig into data on my hard drives. I realized that I could make a two panel mosaic stretching from the Squid and Bat to Barnard 150 (The seahorse) and finally the grand design galaxy NGC6946.

Data collected with RASA8 and ASI2600MC in September and November 2020. Totally about 9.5 hours. The left half of the mosaic was taken with an IDAS NBZ filter (enhancing Ha and Oiii) while the right half was taken without filter, so RGB. Maybe a bit unorthodox to mix these but then Oiii is needed for the Squid while dark nebulosity and galaxies are best seen in RGB images.

Cheers, Göran

20230327 Cepheus dust SY135-RASA PS22sign.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 14.01.43.png

• Like 23

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Maybe you can take it from this one? Would be an honor to contribute a corner😁

20200919-20 NGC6946 RASA PS46.tif 134.65 MB · 2 downloads

That's very kind of you, Goran, but unfortunately it only extends our Fireworks panel downwards by a small amount. The overlap with ours is considerable though we go over to include the open cluster. I think it will be well worth another panel.

Olly

31 minutes ago, tomato said:

That’s a novel approach combining narrow and broadband panels in a mosaic, but I think it really works. There must be other locations where this would work, e.g M45 and the  Spaghetti Nebula?

Thanks Steve! Yes, in this case the left half of the image really demands NB, at least for the Squid, while the right half is clearly better in RGB. I guess everything should be allowed as long as it works😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wimvb said:

Great mosaic, Göran. I wonder, if you put all your images in one big mosaic, how much of the sky would they cover?

1 hour ago, WolfieGlos said:

Superb image Goran! I really like the “subdued” (for want of a better word) RGB colour of the Seahorse on one side vs the colours of the Bat and Squid on the other. 

Thanks a lot Wim and Chris! Guess what, skies have cleared and I am exposing again!

• Like 1