Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trouble choosing between a number of lenses

GeoAmy

13 hours ago, Elp said:

The cheapest cost of entry commercial tracker I've come across is the Omegon LX, purely mechanical too which is a bonus. I didn't use it much (as I got the azgti soon after) but 2-3 minute subs with the SY14 was no problem.

This and the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Mini were the two that I suggested so we shall see. My birthday is right after Christmas so I can sometimes get away with asking for something a little bit more expensive and split it across the two occasions, which is proving to be very handy for photography equipment!!

The SA would be the better purchase, the normal one may even get away with a small refractor mounted onto it for future proofing. If you can stretch to one, the SAGTI will be better still as it has goto functionality and is designed to accept small telescopes.

• 3 weeks later...

Any lens you are thinking on buying in the future check out Chris Frost on youtube, he has an extensive catalogue built up for most lenses now, he usually does a coma test on them too. The 135mm Samyang is also a well regarded lens that is in common use for astro too if you are after something with a bit tighter field of view, areas like the Heart and Soul Nebula, Elephants Trunk, Flaming Star etc or even Andromeda Galaxy should all frame up quite well with apsc camera and 135mm.