NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EBay buyer scam

edjrgibbs

Has anyone had any experience of selling on eBay where the buyer claims the item was received damaged and sends photos of an item that’s clearly not the one posted? I recently sold an L-extreme filter in perfect condition. Two weeks after taking delivery the guy claims it’s scratched and unusable and sends me a photo of a filter that looks like it’s been skated on! 

one on the wooden table is what I posted and the other two are his. I’m not even sure that’s an l-extreme filter. 

4B1E7D8D-DC0E-447E-8F1D-BB69C40E066E.png

664CD4ED-AB95-4B41-A0E1-D75287E34ADF.png

AC63506E-CFCD-4BC7-A3E5-2675A1A78B67.jpeg

I would say that is certainly not the same filter in his photos. It looks light grey around the outside, whereas yours is clearly black. It does, however, appear to say L-eX... around the outside of his. It sounds like a typical Ebay buyer scam to me. Unfortunately, I guess Ebay will side with him and will give him your money back and a black mark if you don't refund him first. I'd call his bluff and ask for it to be returned for inspection, carriage paid.

• Like 5

Very sorry to hear you are having this problem. Sadly I think you are going have to argue strongly.
Despite one filter reflecting green and the other purple!

I have been bitten once by ebay buyer lies. At lot of argument over only £30 - less fees.
But I had record of multiple delivery attempts by UPS in my favour and eventually the correct outcome was reached.
I once sold a car and the buyer vanished into thin air after the auction ended - I couldn't even get my fees back or leave negative feedback.

Once bitten and all that. I won't sell on ebay after the experiences. If anything won't sell elsewhere I  would rather give it away or take it to the dump.

Good luck with making them see sense.

• Like 2

I hear stories like this so often with eBay. Unfortunately you have sold to a thief. Honestly, if I were selling something on eBay, I would film the whole packing and posting to prove it was dispatched as described so I had concrete evidence when this happens.

It has been a while since I bought or sold on ebay but does your account accept returns and are the returns at the buyers expense? If so you could call his bluff and tell him to return it. Chances are he won't and the case will be closed. If he leaves you bad feedback you can reply. Someone with more recent ebay experience might know if this is still the case.

I've just copied his photo's into Photoshop. Firstly they have both been illuminated from different directions which is misleading. The one showing what is supposedly scratches appears when magnified to be nothing more than back illuminated finger marks or reflections, the more contrasting lighting making them appear to be surface marks.

image.thumb.png.41ac027a2975d9235bf52b3184e70403.png

Edited by fwm891

8 hours ago, fwm891 said:

I've just copied his photo's into Photoshop. Firstly they have both been illuminated from different directions which is misleading. The one showing what is supposedly scratches appears when magnified to be nothing more than back illuminated finger marks or reflections, the more contrasting lighting making them appear to be surface marks.

image.thumb.png.41ac027a2975d9235bf52b3184e70403.png

Thanks. Definitely doesn’t look like the l-extreme filter. Possibly a LP filter that’s been inserted into the bracket. 

Did you have a return policy statement on the original advert? If so, what did it say? If you're not sure then check the advert again in case one has been added automatically.

Has the buyer contacted you directly or have they opened a Return Request via eBay?

It's hard to say whether the filter photographed by the buyer isn't the one you sent, mainly because these filters can show different colours when lit from different angles. So, assuming it is the same filter, I would be asking:

• Why it's taken two weeks to report the alleged scratches?
  • Why is the filter so dirty and covered in dust?
  • For photos once the filter has been cleaned using recommended cleaning materials.
  • How have the two indentations occurred in the casing foam (not there in your image), has the filter not been stored correctly in the box using the central cut-out or have other filters been stored in the box at the same time (which could have scratched the coating on the L-eXtreme)?