Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My go at the moon

nickp87

First try at stacking the moon, a rather poor attempt compared to the images posted to this forum, but it's a start

Skywatcher 127 mak, Canon 550D, AZ GTI, I had over 100,000 frames to try and sort and analyse.

spacer.png

All critique welcome, I am really struggling nailing focus.

Edited by nickp87
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Altocumulus said:

Looks good..

What did you use to stack?

Thanks, was hoping for more detail in it.

Videos processed in PIPP and stacked with autostackkert ( i am not aware of any other video stacking options)

As far as I can tell the only thing wrong with the image itself is the focus is slightly soft. Trying to focus a scope based on a wobbly image on a screen is very challenging, when i image it often takes me 10 minutes to satisfy myself that the focus is right ( I'm also using a DSLR , which really isn't very well suited to my scope at all). 

As Altocumulus says above, you really need to sharpen the stacked result to bring out all the detail, I use wavelets in registax.

2 hours ago, Altocumulus said:

Chuckles - It'll come with practice! Focusing is one of my issues as well, with a Mak 180 - it's not easy.

I don't use a DSLR, but 100,000 frames seems a little excessive.

Thanks

Yeah it a lot of frames, but only used a a fraction of those.

2 hours ago, Altocumulus said:

p.s.

Have you tried any sharpening? Astrosurface/registax/photoshop or equivalent?

I will run it through photoshop, I did use the sharpen option in Autostackkert

2 hours ago, Astronomist said:

As far as I can tell the only thing wrong with the image itself is the focus is slightly soft. Trying to focus a scope based on a wobbly image on a screen is very challenging, when i image it often takes me 10 minutes to satisfy myself that the focus is right ( I'm also using a DSLR , which really isn't very well suited to my scope at all). 

As Altocumulus says above, you really need to sharpen the stacked result to bring out all the detail, I use wavelets in registax.

Yes definitely soft and yes I thought focusing would be a little easier on the DLSR screen as i can zoom in, but it is not easy and very wobbly. Think I will take lots of test frames next time to try and nail focus better 

I'll take a look at registax