Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First attempt Jupiter 11-11-23

pete_n_pugs

My second attempt, after completely over exposing on 10th Nov. Still learning the telescope (Explore Scientific 10" Ultra Light Dobsonian), the camera (ASI 533MC), and the software (SharpCap and AutoStakkert 3). Simple question, but since this is a Newtonian, should I flip the image? Any comments or suggestions to improve this appreciated, as I used default settings as much as possible. No Barlow used, next time! I was able to capture 1000 frames without needing to move the scope - Dobsonian so no tracking.

Capture details (1000 frames)
FrameType=Light
Debayer Preview=On
Pan=0
Tilt=0
Output Format=SER file (*.ser)(Auto)
Binning=1
Capture Area=3008x3008
Colour Space=RAW8
Exposure/Gain Shift=0
Temperature=16.6
Hardware Binning=Off
Turbo USB=100
Flip=None
Frame Rate Limit=Maximum
Gain=65
Exposure=31.4190ms
Timestamp Frames=Off
White Bal (B)=95
White Bal (R)=52
Brightness=1
Auto Exp Max Gain=300
Auto Exp Max Exp MS=30000
Auto Exp Target Brightness=100
Mono Bin=Off
Mask over exposed pixels=Off

Some details on the processing...
Analyze
Planet CoG, Dynamic Background
Quality Estimation: Laplace, Noise robust (5), Normal range (local)
Reference frame, Auto size
Stacking:
Grid AP
I used 6% of the 1000 frames captured
Sharpened
Drizzle 1.5x

I did find that the secondary had fogged up when I tried to take a second run. Can you use a dew heater on a Newtonian? I do need to add a shroud as well.

23_04_08_lapl5_ap8_Drizzle15_conv.png

• Like 1

That's a nice 1st (2nd) attempt. As you already indicated, I'd definitely add a barlow in future. You capture spped of ~31ms seems a bit slow, so perhaps try something more like 10ms. Can you set an ROI less than your existing 3008x3008 as that would help with faster frame rate. I can't advice on dew control for your scope, but probably a shroud might help, if not some form of heater.

5 minutes ago, pete_n_pugs said:

Thanks Geof. I'll see if I can work out how to change the ROI - gives me something to do with all the clouds around!

I don't use SharpCap, for planetary imaging, but you'll find it under camera controls/capture area...

image.png.87b71c617e1ed387631a803e3fe809ef.png

Good luck.

Great image for only your second go at planetary imaging! Just give your secondary a quick blast with a hair dryer. I have a flextube DOB and don't bother with dew heaters. Though you probably will need a shroud for the primary as my OTA is only partially open.