NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Double moons

10 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

It makes me wonder if either of the mirrors are under strain, causing two foci? It might be worth loosening everything off and starting collimation from scratch. If its work rd perfectly in the past then that's all I think it could be. Anoher cause could be an Astigmatic secondary.

I have done the washer and milk carton upgrade as the original collimation screws had already made divots, I have loosened all the mirror clips and checked with a playing card as someone said and re-collimated it.

I am just waiting for a clear night to test it out again.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Are you a member of Liverpool AS Paul? There are some good guys in that society that may be able to resolve the problem if it continues.

I was went a few times but when its raining they meet inside I went twice sat there for 45mins not one person spoke to me same the week after so not been back since.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

I was went a few times but when its raining they meet inside I went twice sat there for 45mins not one person spoke to me same the week after so not been back since.

That's not good! Sorry to hear that!

When I think about it, it must be fast approaching 20 years since I've seen anyone from LAS. Don't know where that time went!! 

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

That's not good! Sorry to hear that!

When I think about it, it must be fast approaching 20 years since I've seen anyone from LAS. Don't know where that time went!! 

A friend on here went I warned him before few weeks later he said the same thing if you wasnt in the click they ignored you which is a dam shame.

• Sad 1

Well first clear night and after loosening everything and re-collimating  first look the moon at 17.30 scope had been out 45 minutes.

What can I say fantastic the craters looked fabulous swing over to Saturn obviously rings not in the best angle but clear as a bell planet and rings 2 moons as well.

Jupiter was high enough now and what a sight 3 bands 4 with averted and 4 spot moons  finally everything is bang on.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 17/11/2023 at 17:19, wookie1965 said:

On 17/11/2023 at 19:19, wookie1965 said:

A friend on here went I warned him before few weeks later he said the same thing if you wasnt in the click they ignored you which is a dam shame.

Hi Paul,

I just stumbled across this thread and, as the Secretary of Liverpool AS, I thought I should respond.

Firstly, I'd like to apologise if our members seemed to ignore you and, separately, your friend. Whilst I don't believe any of them would do this deliberately, it doesn't change the fact that it happened. I suspect it was probably a case of the bystander-effect - everybody thought somebody else would do it.

If you can tell me the dates when it happened (even roughly), I can check the signing-in book to see who was there on those evenings and speak with them, but I'll also speak to the larger group to remind them that if they see somebody new who is on their own to go over to them and say hello, have a chat, etc.

It greatly worries and upsets me that there is a perception of a clique within our Society and our membership.

Yours sincerely,
Mark Galvin
Secretary,
Liverpool Astronomical Society

Edited by Mark Galvin
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mark Galvin said:

Hi Paul,

I just stumbled across this thread and, as the Secretary of Liverpool AS, I thought I should respond.

Firstly, I'd like to apologise if our members seemed to ignore you and, separately, your friend. Whilst I don't believe any of them would do this deliberately, it doesn't change the fact that it happened. I suspect it was probably a case of the bystander-effect - everybody thought somebody else would do it.

If you can tell me the dates when it happened (even roughly), I can check the signing-in book to see who was there on those evenings and speak with them, but I'll also speak to the larger group to remind them that if they see somebody new who is on their own to go over to them and say hello, have a chat, etc.

It greatly worries and upsets me that there is a perception of a clique within our Society and our membership.

Yours sincerely,
Mark Galvin
Secretary,
Liverpool Astronomical Society

Hi Mark,

Thank you for getting in touch it was 2012 I had gotten my first ever scope and had trouble collimating like many other newbies I had done it but wanted someone to check it, I looked around and found LAS so came up. Brenden Martin checked it for me and said it was spot on.

I was told off coming there as I had my lights on the car this would have been late October into November as it was dark at 7pm.  I came the second time set up outside and a couple of members looked through my scope and asked what eyepiece I was using I thought great a good place to come and talk. I joined that night a member Mark said he had a tripod I could buy which was better than the one that came with my EQ3-2. 

The week after he brought the tripod and helped me set up outside again.

The following week it was raining I cam in quite a few where sat down the front talking to each other looking at laptops I sat down not one person spoke or even acknowledged me I stood up and left.

The same thing happened the week after, that was it for me  I have never been back.

Maybe it has changed now it is 12 years later.

I am now a member of Luton astronomical society I have a zoom meeting every month and even though I am not there they make a real effort to engage with me young and old this is my third year with them

Best wishes 

Paul