Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's the best ISO setting for a Nikon D5300?

Trippelforge

I have been using my Nikon for awhile and really never was sure of the optimal ISO setting. Currently I am shooting at 400. I have read that Nikons over all perform better at lower ISO's than Canon's. But I am sure it's more model dependent. I had an old chart but it didn't have the D5300 on it. Thanks 😃

Up to 1600 is good. The Nikon is consistently above the equivalent Canon when it comes to noise and image quality. Also read noise - which is where your comment comes from re performing better at lower ISOs. There's more here on CN https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/864967-so-confusted-about-iso-range-with-canon-vs-nikon/

For a non astro view: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d5300/14

3 hours ago, Trippelforge said:

I have been using my Nikon for awhile and really never was sure of the optimal ISO setting. Currently I am shooting at 400. I have read that Nikons over all perform better at lower ISO's than Canon's. But I am sure it's more model dependent. I had an old chart but it didn't have the D5300 on it. Thanks 😃

Nikon's ISO performance is very model dependent. D3200 - I don't like shooting above ISO-100 if I can help it. D800 is excellent up to ISO-400, very, very good at ISO-800 and very good at ISO-1600. D7200 gives lower noise than D3200, but I haven't compared it with the other two properly. Ken Rockwell's camera reviews show the ISO performance of most cameras and I recall that he did a comparison between the D800 and some cameras from other manufacturers, with the D800 leading the pack all the way through.

The Nikon D5300 is a special case.  It's best to keep ISO really low e.g. ISO 100 or 200 in order to keep the peak of the back-of-camera histogram well over to the left and avoid those annoying coloured concentric rings in the background, caused by Nikon's badly implemented lossy compression.

Mark

Edited by sharkmelley
  • Like 1